piisfish

Question on WS BASE exits...

What is the lowest wingsuit exit altitude ??

Approximately how long does it take for suits to inflate (certainely different between suits..)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What is the lowest wingsuit exit altitude ??

Are you asking for the lowest anyone has ever done? Or the lowest that would be worthwhile in terms of getting the suit flying? Or the lowest that is theoretically possible?

In theory, you could static line with a wingsuit on, so you could exit any altitude that you normally would. I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

For me, personally? I think I'd want at least 1000 feet to make it worthwhile, Lower than that, and I'd just not feel like there was enough time to fly to make it worth getting the suit on. The lowest I've seen people have actual flights (noticeably different from good track, say) is probably around 800'.

Approximately how long does it take for suits to inflate (certainely different between suits..)

It's also, in my experience dependent on the skill of the pilot. In theory, I think (if we were all perfect pilots) it would depend mostly on wingloading.

I've seen people get flying as fast as 3 seconds, and I've seen people take as long as 10. I think 5-6 is probably a good, conservative, average.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In theory, you could static line with a wingsuit on, so you could exit any altitude that you normally would. I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

:D:D not sure what the interest would be...

thanks for the replies.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i did one today from a 200(+)m wall. second time here, and also my lowest exit. video shows about 7sec, just in time to start flying. very good references to learn how fast you take off.
the place has a perfect landing area though...

My friend HP did 18 secs in our famous South France gorge. About 300m, difficult landing, he used S3.

Fido

18 secs in that gorge in a wingsuit from 300m ... impressive ... balls to the wall

PerFlare

18 seconds!

300 meter to impact vertical below exit point or more meters with a slope/talus included? That would make a difference....

Ronald Overdijk

Very short talus (less than 50m). I have video with 9sec in tracking suit from same cliff. Usually it's 5-7 sec. Have you ever jumped there?

Fido

Very short talus (less than 50m). I have video with 9sec in tracking suit from same cliff. Usually it's 5-7 sec. Have you ever jumped there?

I don't get it. 50m is about 150'. How can you make a 9 sec or even a 5 sec out of 150'?

Am I reading this wrong?
Memento Audere Semper

I don't get it. 50m is about 150'. How can you make a 9 sec or even a 5 sec out of 150'?

Am I reading this wrong?

The talus is the part under the cliff (the slabby slope). So the cliff had only 150' of "extra" altitude, which doesn't count the actual height of the cliff.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am reading this as 50m to a short talus, 300m(980') to impact. If you remove 480' for the suit begining to fly(about 180' and a 300' opening altitude), that is about 15 secs for 500' or 23 mph(or a 26 mph total average from exit to deployment).

An incredible flight. Can the experienced WS BASE pilots please post their opinions?

Kris.

An incredible flight. Can the experienced WS BASE pilots please post their opinions?

Yup. Incredible. If you're looking for experienced opinions, unless Yuri and Robert get on here, I don't think you're going to find a more experienced commentator than PerFlare.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Won't the wingsuit contribute to a slower fall rate even before it is really flying, just due to the increased drag area?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Sorry guys, I think misunderstanding here is due to my inaccuracy:
1) I did not measure this cliff myself, Google just gave me 350m.
2) After exit he turned to left and fly parallel down stream. Gorge is quite steep there, it gives you extra altitude.
Conclusion: Excellent flight and low exit, but nothing impossible.

Fido