BrianSGermain

PD/Big Air manufacturing partnership

It depends on the specific location, but the mainseams are sewn to a tollerance of + or - 3mm, which is way tigher than is necessary. It is a standard that I impose on myself, so I pass it down to the other operators as well. By keeping a tight leash on sewing quality, we have completly erradicated built in turns. Big Air has never built a canopy with a turn since th beginning. We are very proud of that.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

The bulk is not the problem with dacron, although it is significant. The real trouble is that dacron stretches, while the other lines are shrinking. This causes the brake setting to diminish at lightspeed, which in the end will cause sloppy control inputs, inability to stop fully, and worse yet, hard openings on many canopies.

Keep in mind the facts: Big Air Has never broken a vectran steering line due to wearing.

I understand your feelings about breaking a steering line, point well-taken. I don't want to break one either. That's why I did so much research on this topic. I looked at materials, but I also manipulated the variable of construction method, as well as bar-tack type. We are building them as strong as we can, with the least chance of breakage.

On that note, I highly recomend each and every ram-air pilot become very competant and confident in performing rear riser landings, especially if you are performing high speed approaches. The brake lines are few, the rear riser lines many. Have you fall-back plan worked out and you need not worry about such things.

Hey Brian - miss seeing you around the DZ!

Personally, I know (from talking with you) you are more precise in your work than PD...makes sense as your reputation is on the line. But the thing that makes your signature line a better option (to me), is that your "promised date" is something you have control over; if PD makes the canopy, you (Big Air) are just another customer.>:(

Just my personal experience from my own Samurai order.[:/]

BTW: love my Samurai - thanks, Brian!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Brian,

Up in the cold North of Flordia from the looks of some of your posts. Now to the point of the thread. I have a Signature Build Samurai and love it! No problems at all with it and workmanship is outstanding. I would expect that near the same level should be comming out of PD as well.

I had the choice when buying the canopy and Brian offered the signature series so I took advantage of the option. Compared to having the canopy from PD in (I think) 6 weeks, Brian had it in my hands with the colors I picked in 2! You must have been bored to get it done that quick;)

End result and "IMHO", oing with PD is a great idea and will save some resources espicially on a ramp up period. If you want the option for Brian to build it thats great! Just have to be carefull about gettting good followup and feedback from the PD build customers. There was one unhappy guy noted in the thread above both in time and workmanship. That is the prime issue I can see with outsourciing... But the upside to it is pretty good but you need to take the extra step on some followup to assure that it stays that way...

I would wonder if the Sensi will be only an "In-House" build though? With the preceive and stated trickyness of building this canopy that has been mentioned previously, I am curious about the plans for that build?

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

On that note, I highly recomend each and every ram-air pilot become very competant and confident in performing rear riser landings, especially if you are performing high speed approaches. The brake lines are few, the rear riser lines many. Have you fall-back plan worked out and you need not worry about such things.

Very good point.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, it's great to have your knowledge on these boards. Now, let's hope that people will listen.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Having PD make your canopies was a great decision due to the outstanding facilities and their QA processes ,but only one concern which I have is with communication between the two companies. I ordered a canopy last year which took repeated calls to find out that it was done but never shipped out , and a couple of months later my buddy ordered one as well and ended finding out it did not getting made. All in all I'm having a blast with the one I got ,and very impressed with the way you built my buddies canopy your self due to the mix up. Showing me that I made the right decision getting one of your canopies.

Thanks

As a diehard 7-cell pilot who has returned after 12 yrs out of sport, ( & limited knowledge of current technology - [this post is 1st I've heard of Big Air])),
I find the idea of an air-locked 7-cell (Shogan) very interesting.

Question;
Do you use the same 'method' of canopy sizing as PD ?
D
Edit; I would think outsourcing through PD would be an excellent practice-I would not hesitate to buy a canopy of yours made by PD.
Edit 2; Any pros/cons of airlocking a 7-cell lightly loaded (1.2:1) would be appreciated.

Yes. Our measuring method is average (mean) chord multipiled by bottom surface span. The chord is measured from tail to the furthest forward point on the airfoil, which is obviously forward of the bottom leading edge. John LeBlanc tells me that this is the same method that they use to measue their canopies.

I neglected to answer your question regarding airlocked 7-cell canopies.

The are no disadvantages to airlocking 7-cells as far as I can tell. We have quite a few test jumps on such canopies, and are really happy with them.

The 7-cell bicell design has its limitations in terms of its gliding ability, and airlocks don't really help that issue much. The advantage is in overall canopy rigidity, as well as slow-flight and landings.

I had no idea that you had pd make any canopies for you. Having met you when you introduced yourself to me while i was visiting the hills, and from everything i have read, i can say i will definately demo a sam. I will be looking for another main this spring and it is now on my list of canopies to try.

Jeff

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

We have not found a signifiant correlation bewteen proper oversews and canopy performance or longevity. The big issue remains attention to match-marks and accuracy of the loaded stitch row. In that capacity, PD has been doing fine as far as we can tell.

Again, we have not had a built in turn at all. That is a very good sign. I know other manufacturers have not done so well in this regard.