FIREFLYR

Can a packjob go stale?

The exit point is not the place for gear fear. Do whatever you need to feel comfortable. If that includes repacking, do it. Just think, would you want to be in a hospital regreting for the rest of your life "if I'd only spent 15 minutes doing what I thought was right."
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Sweat is definitely better than blood. You should however be able to tell if it is slider up or down by your PC size, right?

I've used 42" PC's for both slider down and slider up delays. In fact, I usually use a 42" for all my jumps off this little bridge here, slider up or slider down.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You should however be able to tell if it is slider up or down by your PC size, right?

I'm with Tom on that one. I use a 42 for slider up and down on certain objects, and a 38 slider up or down on others. The only size that would give it away would be a 32.

Fireflyr is positive he packed his rig slider down, That's not in question. It's all about wondering whether or not the travels and handling the rig has gone through makes a difference.

Right now? Nah I'd jump it. However I'm also a firm believer in removing the gear fear as 460 mentioned. Pack Jobs are easy, especially if it's just redoing an already packed rig.

I've re-packed for no good reason except the rig sat in the corner for a month and curiosity got the best of me. I suppose it's the same as gear fear. Sure enough, it looked the same as it did when it was packed up the first time.

Whatever gets you off the edge is what makes a difference. Standing there with pilot chute in hand is a bad time to be wondering about the contents of your backpack so just open it and pack it up again.

Touche. I would be interested in seeing what situations you use different setups (if you don't mind). I have used a 42" for 90% of my jumps, so haven't had a lot of play time with variances. I am also guilty of repacking my rig for nothing other than it sitting for about a month:P.

You should however be able to tell if it is slider up or down by your PC size, right?

Just to reiterate what Tom and co have already mentioned, but absolutely not. A 42" pc could quite happily configure with a slider up and and slider down jump. A power tower we jump has two platforms, one at 350 another at 650. I have jumped stowed 42" from both heights, the latter being slider up. I'd rather not gamble on the outcome of mistakenly taking the slider up pack off the lower platform with a 2 sec delay, based on the assumption that a 42 meant it was slider down.

That could be a very costly assumption to make.

The only size that would give it away would be a 32.

so your using 46 and 48 on slider ups aswell:ph34r:

you cracy bastards...he he

as i say,why leave a pack job that long..:S

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

If you're not sure, the easiest way to find out would be to open the pack job and take a quick peek at the brake settings & risers. That *should* clear up any slider up/down questions.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Read that in english Faber;)

But to answer you, 32 slider up. 42 Slider up or down, 46? well ... I have used it slider up plenty because that's the pc that was available however, the delay is pretty short when it gets used.

The 48 has a total of 2 jumps on it. I don't use it any more.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you're not sure, the easiest way to find out would be to open the pack job and take a quick peek at the brake settings & risers. That *should* clear up any slider up/down questions.

Not if you own BR gear. Remember, BR uses one brake setting on all their canopies, and their manual says not to customize the brake settings. I assume that's also what they teach their students.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've re-packed for no good reason except the rig sat in the corner for a month and curiosity got the best of me. I suppose it's the same as gear fear. Sure enough, it looked the same as it did when it was packed up the first time.

That reminds me that unpacking and repacking something is an excellent time to dissect your pack job and see just how much things didn't shift. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

This is just my scared/paranoid side coming out, but if I did not _JUST_ pack it within 1-2 days, I will repack it.
I was next in line to jump in Moab when a jumper used a daisy chained field packed rig. He streamered into the talus.
Then, I have heard of people jumping towers thinking they where sliderup- when they where not. 10 seconds slider down B|

Check your gear, then repack, then check again, then check again, then check again....etc....
Is 1/2 to 1 hour of checking and packing worth your life?

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17687

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17688

I packed my velcro rig a few weeks ago and haven't jumped it. (winded out /nerved out).
When I packed it it was firm,hard to close. Now it feels kinda soggy I was able to remove the shrivel flap and replace it without pushing in the material. any feelings on this?
:S
Word.
~J

Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

It's more the in the car out of the car in the car on the roof out of the bag back in the bag in the car...that I wonder about.
~J

Hmm, How high's your roof?

How low is more like it;)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

How low is more like it

OO OO.. I know this one! *raises hand* pick me!

Did you repack it yet;)

Zennie: If you're not sure, the easiest way to find out would be to open the pack job and take a quick peek at the brake settings & risers. That *should* clear up any slider up/down questions.

If you're going to go through the trouble of opening up the pack job, why not just look to see if the slider is up or not? If you're one to just pull the slider down, it should be pretty obvious. Either way, you should be able to feel for slider grommets about as easily as you would check brake settings.

...but if you jump slider up you must have the control line inside the guide ring on your riser, while if you're jumping slider-down/off you must have your control lines outside the guide rings on the risers...

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

...but if you jump slider up you must have the control line inside the guide ring on your riser, while if you're jumping slider-down/off you must have your control lines outside the guide rings on the risers...

I agree with you.

However, there are a number of jumpers who disagree with both you and I on this issue.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you don't know, unless you _really know_.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yes Tom, you're right!
And I agree with all the guys are saying that when you have a minimal doubt about your setup, there's only a way: open and repack!
Technically, I asked the same question (about jumping a longtime packed rig) to Karen at BR. I was specifically concerned about the "memory" of the ripstop after a long time, but she said me that if you don't have any doubt about your setup and pack job, you can jump without problem your rig also after months.
She also said me that in past there were made some tests (I don't remember if done by BR or by other manufacturer) with skydiving reserves packed from a loooong time (4 years and more) and once jumped they opened perfectly in the same way of a recently packed canopies.
However, personally I prefer to open and repack my rig after a period of more than 15 days. It gives me more confidence on the exit point. And well... it's only about 1 hour of your life... ;)
About routing the control lines on the guide rings on the risers when jumping slider up, I think that in the archive (or on the BLINC one) there's a thread about this, maybe interesting to read it again, but I tryed to make a search in the archive without results...
Anyone can help?

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.

I were jokig at you bro... what i wrote is state of the art"new english" learn it or feel old;):D:ph34r:

48.. hmm i dont have one.. i use a vented 46 and an unvented 46 aswell to the dirty jumps(SL or really low freefalls)

by the way i dont wonder if its a slider up or down jump for 2 reassons
1. i only used slider 1 time,the rest of the jumps its off,that mean if i find my slider somewere it can only be packed slider off:ph34r:

2.i just dont jump alot slider ups so why should i pack for one:ph34r:

You could(if you borther)place a strip on your rig(that your now leaving packed for a long time)telling what its packed like...:P

Slider up or down, 46? well ... I have used it slider up plenty because that's the pc that was available however, the delay is pretty short when it gets used.

what i said you guys are wrong:ph34r::D

stay safe guys

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

...that in past there were made some tests (I don't remember if done by BR or by other manufacturer) with skydiving reserves packed from a loooong time (4 years and more) and once jumped they opened perfectly in the same way of a recently packed canopies...

I have seen a similar study (perhaps the same one?) from the US military. The conclusions were not quite the same as you've stated. Still, the difference between a canopy packed 3 months and one packed three years was negligible.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...the difference between a canopy packed 3 months and one packed three years was negligible.

I'm more interested in the difference between a canopy packed 3 hrs and one packed 3 wks...

I'd be more concerned about repacking the pilot chute after time passes than the canopy.

I've heard of people having scary hesitations when the jumped a rig that had been packed for a week and hadn't repacked their PC.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I have seen a similar study (perhaps the same one?) from the US military. The conclusions were not quite the same as you've stated. Still, the difference between a canopy packed 3 months and one packed three years was negligible.

Maybe I remember wrong, but I need to find that email in the tons of archived msgs on my home PC... :P
However, I usually pack my PC just before the exit (of course if I don't need to climb with my rig on and when the object gives you that chance) because I've been told by an experienced jumper that the ripstop can have a sort of "memory" if packed for a long time... And I don't like it... ;)

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.

I'm more interested in the difference between a canopy packed 3 hrs and one packed 3 wks...

Me too. The study I read seemed to conclude that the biggest difference in opening (in terms of the distance they used) was at the beginning. In other words, the sooner after packing, the bigger the difference (so 1 hour-1 day was larger than 1 day-2 days, and so on). Let me see if I can dig up the real study, though, as I'm just working on memory here. Also, remember that the study wasn't on BASE gear--it was on military rounds.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've heard of people having scary hesitations when the jumped a rig that had been packed for a week and hadn't repacked their PC.

I've both seen and experienced that, often enough that when I'm doing an edgy jump, I'll repack the PC right before exit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How low is more like it

OO OO.. I know this one! *raises hand* pick me!

Did you repack it yet;)

F@#% that i've already repacked it 3 times without jumping!
:S~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"