EdC

Neptune IR Port

I received my new neptune yesterday and I do not have a way to update it when updates are available. Does anyone know where I can get a USB or serial IR port for a desktop pc? I have searched CompUSA and CDW and have not found what I am looking for.

Big Ed

Check out this page.

http://www.alti-2.com/neptune_updater.htm

You must use a computer with an IrDA interface. If you computer does not have IrDA there are several USB and Serial versions available, we use a device manufactured by ActiSys http://www.actisys.com/ac200-220.html they also have USB versions that work well. We have tested the upgrade process on several brands of computer with built-in IrDA and also ActiSys external devices, have a few in stock if you would prefer to buy one from us.

Thanks, I ordered one off e-bay for $11.95 and it has the 3 ft. USB extension so I don't have to lay the neptune on the floor next to the PC. I'll let everyone know how the economic Ir port works out.

Please don't forget to let us know. I need to do the same thing.

Ed

I got my USB Fast Infra-red Adapter yesterday to update my Neptune. The instructions say just plug it in and Win XP will automatically install the correct driver. I thought that was easy enough. I plugged the infrared adapter into the USB port and windows found the driver and installed it. I next tried to install the Ircomm2k software and that is when the trouble started. Ircomm2k gave me an error message and told me to uninstall the driver and restart the computer before attempting another installation. I uninstalled Ircomm2k, restarted the computer and tried to install it again. Same error. I uninstalled the Ircomm2k driver again and restarted the computer. I next tried the driver cd that came with the Ir adapter and ran the setup program on the cd. I thought I was getting somewhere when the driver on the USB Ir adapter cd installed and instructed me to plug the adapter into the USB port and the OS would find the correct driver and install it. This didn’t work either. I tried downloading the drivers from the manufacturers web site for the Ir adapter. This didn’t work either. I went back to the SigmaTel website and read the tech support manual and that’s where I discovered the problem. The built in driver in Win XP is not the correct driver for the Ir adapter. At this point it’s midnight and I have to get up at 5:30 a.m. Today, I took the Ir adapter to work and tried it on my XP system at work. I installed the driver from the cd provided with the Ir adapter before I plugged it in. I next plugged the Ir adapter into the USB port and then manually selected the driver from the adapter cd and it worked. I next installed the Ircomm2k software and selected COM 4 and then I installed the Neptune updater software from Alti-2 and all was well. At this point I was bummed. My system at work was working the way it should and the system at home was not. I went home and did a system restore to a time before I plugged the Ir adapter in without installing the driver from the cd. I then restarted the system at home and installed the driver from the cd without plugging the Ir adapter in. Then I plugged the Ir adapter into the USB port and manually selected the driver from the cd provided with the adapter and it worked like a charm. Next, I installed the Ircomm2k software and the Neptune updater software and I was good to go. I followed the simple instructions with the Neptune updated and now I have the latest version.

Sorry this is so long, but I wasted about 3 hours trying to get this thing to work. In the end, I should have installed the drivers from the cd first and I could have avoided all of the problems.

Big Ed

I got my USB Fast Infra-red Adapter yesterday to update my Neptune. The instructions say just plug it in and Win XP will automatically install the correct driver. I thought that was easy enough.the Neptune updater software from Alti-2 and all was well.

snip snip snip

At this point I was bummed. My system at work was working the way it should and the system at home was not. I went home and did a system restore to a time before I plugged the Ir adapter in without installing the driver from the cd. I then restarted the system at home and installed the driver from the cd without plugging the Ir adapter in. Then I plugged the Ir adapter into the USB port and manually selected the driver from the cd provided with the adapter and it worked like a charm. Next, I installed the Ircomm2k software and the Neptune updater software and I was good to go. I followed the simple instructions with the Neptune updated and now I have the latest version.

Sorry this is so long, but I wasted about 3 hours trying to get this thing to work. In the end, I should have installed the drivers from the cd first and I could have avoided all of the problems.

Thanks for the update. I now have 3 jumps on mine using it as a visual (version 2.0.8) It was fantastic!!! I compared it to my pro-track and they were always within 100 feet of each other. So far, the Neptune is doing everything the pro track does and a lot more such as canopy mode and climb out mode.

Ed

Mine came in today. It is a BAFO BF-7010. It cost $19.95 plus $6 shipping with a $19.95 mail in rebate.

I was able to study the material and install everything in about an hour. It took another 10 minutes or so to update the Neptune and it went without a hitch. Thanks for the heads up.

Ed

I got my USB Fast Infra-red Adapter yesterday to update my Neptune. The instructions say just plug it in and Win XP will automatically install the correct driver. I thought that was easy enough.the Neptune updater software from Alti-2 and all was well.

snip snip snip

At this point I was bummed. My system at work was working the way it should and the system at home was not. I went home and did a system restore to a time before I plugged the Ir adapter in without installing the driver from the cd. I then restarted the system at home and installed the driver from the cd without plugging the Ir adapter in. Then I plugged the Ir adapter into the USB port and manually selected the driver from the cd provided with the adapter and it worked like a charm. Next, I installed the Ircomm2k software and the Neptune updater software and I was good to go. I followed the simple instructions with the Neptune updated and now I have the latest version.