skydivingdutch

jumpsuit patterns?

With the South African Rand/US Dollar exchange rate sitting at like Six to One, it can get seriously pricey when ordering gear from here.

So to save some cash i had a look at some of the freefly suits floating around my DZ and spoke to the guys who know more than me and asked what i should be looking for in a suit.

Then, armed with this info i did some investigating into fabrics and found one that wasn't likely to tear if i shmeared in on landing.

Then i came up with a groovy design, approached a fashion designer friend of mine, had her knock up a pattern that was baggy in all the right places and viola, super stylee free fly suit for half the price.

Hope this helps :)
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Yep, I have made 1 jumpsuit and 2 freefly pants from greenpepper patterns (adapted of course) (the Butte jumpsuit, and the powder pant respectively).

Just a word of warning, the way the arm connects to the body on the jumpsuit is a bit strange (I took off the little wingy things too). If you really want, I can take pics of the suit I built.. If I did another suit, I would make the arm connections different.

Additionally, the legs have to be much longer to make the leg closures/flop properly.

And one last thing, the way the two parts (top and bottom) connect together, make sure you have extra material on each part. Nothing worse than making a suit that permanently rides up your butt.

j

I'll try to take some pics this weekend.
If you look at a normal shirt, the arm joins in a circle to the main body.

On the Butte pattern, it is like half-an oval.. round on the top, but straight across the bottom (if I remember correctly).. All I remember is saying 'boy I would do that differently next time'.

j

Here is a pic of my 'flying molar' suit made from that pattern. Dubbed flying molar because it is all white, and I looked like a tooth when flying head down in it. :)
I made it to tiedye, but after it was done I realized it the material wouldn't take dye well. :( DOH!

What can I say, it was my first attempt at making a jumpsuit. My newer attempts have been much more successful.

Anyway, hopefully it gives you a better ideal on how the arm attaches. It is just overly complex, that is all. Modify the pattern and make it an oval instead.

j