motherhucker

need help with a secure BASE jumping website

I need help with creating a secure website relating to BASE sites.
PM me with any ideas.
Tom--get ahold of me too.
mh

Secure from whom? If you want it secure from The Man, you have no chance.
If you just want to secure it from wannabes that you don´t know, you have a chance. IMHO it´s best to just have a network of active jumpers to field the questions from the area indicated. Any sites that are posted can easily be scooped by the man if this is your concern. I hope this helps.
take care,
space

I'm not sure exactly how the man would scope such a secure site... The database can be secured to specific users and passwords just like any business database is structured. The man doesn't really have motivation to hack such a database as long as it is cammo'd as another sort of business.

It could for instance, look like an insurance site where you login to access your policy details, but that takes you to a secure connection that turns into the secret BASE website.. ;)

I'm not sure about a secure forum, but I know a normal website could be at least as secure as your banking details etc...

In my mind the real issue is identity verification, and hence restricting acess to folks you knew you wanted to be able to see the whole list of data.

I think Space has a point. I wonder if what you ought to do is create a secure database with very limited access, then publish a list of "area contacts" each of whom had access to the database and would act as a personal, real world, filter for others seeking access to the information.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Easily done.

I have a new webhosting business where I sell hosting services, email, FTP, private secured directories, and Miva Merchant shopping carts to a handful of BASE jumpers. Only BASE jumpers are on this server and I've got full control of it.

MH, email if interested.

PS: Is this what you're looking for? http://www.vertical-visions.com/private/
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Easily done.

I have a new webhosting business where I sell hosting services, email, FTP, private secured directories, and Miva Merchant shopping carts to a handful of BASE jumpers. Only BASE jumpers are on this server and I've got full control of it.

MH, email if interested.

PS: Is this what you're looking for? http://www.vertical-visions.com/private/

THere is already a thread on BLiNC about this as well.
Just to note when thinking of this:
Jason, what legal ramifications are YOU facing if there is illegal activity planned and executed on this secured forum?

I am not so sure that I would NOT be held as an accessory to the crime if I allowed the discussion to be held in a private sactioned place.
Look at DM in L.P. He did not force anyone to jump, but did organize.

Having a private forum where people can talk about things might not be any different than this.
That is my only concern.
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

Read the post again Mick.....he wants a secure WEBSITE, not a forum. Those are two completely different things, as you well know.

You sound like a friggin' lawyer or even the NPS?

Jason, what legal ramifications are YOU facing if there is illegal activity planned and executed on this secured forum?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Read the post again Mick.....he wants a secure WEBSITE, not a forum. Those are two completely different things, as you well know.

You sound like a friggin' lawyer or even the NPS?

He wants a secure website to "Talk about Jump sites". This is exactly a forum. Just not the typical forum.

Well, I won a home. I do not want the new "Homeland security" police taking that away from me.
I am just being a realist.

Dude have at it!

I am very sorry I chimed in as a jesture of help. I guess my help is not welcome....[:/]
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

He wants a secure website to "Talk about Jump sites". This is exactly a forum. Just not the typical forum.

relating to, not to "talk about." one way stream of information. certainly NOT a forum...there are more than enough of those, don't y'all think?
mh

How about just secret handshakes and phrases:P

Anything that is recorded or written down concerning illegal activites will come back to haunt you one day.

May we live long and die out

Paranoia.....will destroy ya!

I can just see the headlines now: "Hunt for Osama put on hold while US Government tracks down secret BASE jumping forum";)

I'm already destroyed by staying in this society, I can't imagine how destroyed I'd become spending life in jail. MH, forget about what ever it was I told you I could do... and remember we never talked about, or even seen the sight, of the secret base site website, sites, or siteses?...

Anything that is recorded or written down concerning illegal activites will come back to haunt you one day.

anything on a computer that is shared among anyone else, and connected to the internet will contain written records.
Mick Knutson

anything on a computer that is shared among anyone else, and connected to the internet will contain written records.

Thanks everyone--got it figured out. Ummm...my mistake.
mh

I can just see the headlines now: "Hunt for Osama put on hold while US Government tracks down secret BASE jumping forum";)

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't watching me:D

As someone who has been tried and convicted on just admitting that i jumped a site to two farmers, who found my car, in a field across the street and without any other proof of the jump. Keep it quiet and too yourself. Give to only those who need to know and no one else. Quote from the judge " I know all about you BASEjumpers....:

May we live long and die out

Hey 515, my paranoia post was directed at Mick. I just happened to click on the reply button to your post.

Geez, you got busted by just saying you jumped? Damn. Cool Fact: Did you know that there is a 5-year statute of limitations on NPS jumps? You can show the NPS your cool video of a "non-sanctioned" leap you made more than 5 years ago from one of the tall cliffs in any NP and they cannot do a thing! At least, that's according to Fred (one great BASE attorney).

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't watching me:D

Someone once told me "If you can't do the jump without anyone knowing but yourself and your GC, DON'T JUMP". I think that explains all I have to say about this idea. B|

Being an IT myself, I know that unless your computer is locked up in a steel box with no key, it's not safe. If someone wanted the site exposed, it would be exposed. It's as simple as that. And at that point, not only would all the activities of you and your buddies are in the wrong hands, and you would be arrested, but you would've just burned how many sites? Bad juju........

Good idea, but I don't think it's worth the risks involved.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Yo 428, why don´t you direct your paranoia post to those (6?) who did the big 90 days in federal max security prison with murders, rapists, bank robbers for jumping. it would be more objective don´t ya think? what about;the NPS geek that spent his off time hangin in the meadow just to bust jumpers, or what about the NPS saying at a court hearing that they will spend millions of dollars just to bust us? What about the stripped searched jumpers...? Since you do have some cahoots with these guys, why not ask them and yourself these questions? Do we as jumpers have a logical right to feel paranoid?
food for thought.
take care and keep up the good work.
space

edited by request of original poster ~TA

I think that you could possibly do something if there were no government supervised sites like NPS lands allowed. but I am not sure how you could do that, the gov is quite busy whittling down your rights.
take care,
space

Someone once told me "If you can't do the jump without anyone knowing but yourself and your GC, DON'T JUMP". I think that explains all I have to say about this idea. B|

Being an IT myself, I know that unless your computer is locked up in a steel box with no key, it's not safe. If someone wanted the site exposed, it would be exposed. It's as simple as that. And at that point, not only would all the activities of you and your buddies are in the wrong hands, and you would be arrested, but you would've just burned how many sites? Bad juju........

Good idea, but I don't think it's worth the risks involved.

What idea? I have never even really MENTIONED my idea! People have turned my question into something I never intended. Thank you all for your opinions...problem SOLVED.
thanks,
mh

Look what you started, MH!;) We went from a secure website question that didn't ever mention the NPS all the way to the tainted bowels of previous NPS/Jumpers battles.

If you don't like the NPS......DON'T JUMP IN NATIONAL PARKS! Or quit complaining about it and DO SOMETHING to make it legal (besides moving out of the US).

Who was complaining? wasn´t me? You (428) just seem like you want to call the people paranoid, I just wanted you to have food for thought, to put in perspective. So which complaint are you referring to? It musta been somebody else. I do not complain in these forums.
take care,
space

DO SOMETHING to make it legal (besides moving out of the US).

On the contrary 428, I have assisted 3 different country´s jumpers to establish the legality of BASE in Germany, Italy, Norway. you have your bridge and it seems you are doing a great job, Keep up the good work :-)
Our ancestors left Europe because of discrimination and did well for themselves in America. so to be condescending to me for that would be to be condescending to your ancestors. Last word.
take care,
space