BASE813

Heel injury

Last October I flicked a 220ft Span and due to the fact it was in a foreign country with quick exit needed and my own stupid non assessment of the surrounding area I was dumped in hard on landing... I hurt my heel.

This went after returning home and having time off not jumping due to bad weather.

But recently I got dumped in again after a sub100ft opening on my canopy and basically have it "jelly fish" until landing. I now have the pain in my heel again and although I am taking off a month from jumping to rest it, it still gives me pain and discomfort when I walk.

I dont have any bruising or swelling, but the discomfort I have is slightly worrying.

Just interested in anyone else having problems with heel injuries - as I have heard that heels take a long time to "heel" !!

:P

You have probably fractured your heel. It takes longer than any other bone to heal because it is really hard not to load it. My granddad BASEd out of a third floor without a canopy and boke his heal (about twentyfive years back). It took the dude three years to fully recover. Go see an orthopedic get an x-ray and a MRI done.

Good luck bro.
Memento Audere Semper

I had a hard landing in Arizona (not BASE of course) where my left heel felt like it 'bottomed out' after standing it up instead of plf'ing.

Is this the type of injury you have ? or is it more internal ?
Reason being, mine hurt pretty bad but no bruising either.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I did a similar thing hopping around in rock shoes, back when I was a climber.

It took about six months to heal. It sucked.

You might want to see a doctor. I know a guy who did that, and kept aggravating it to the point that he eventually needed surgery (and his doctor told him never to run again). Treatment sooner, rather than later, would have prevented that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I fractured my heel about a year ago on a base jump. I made sure to do everything the doctor said and more. I didn't put an ounce of pressure on it for about six weeks, and even then only started putting slight pressure on it very slowly to build up over time. I took every opportunity to stay off my feet :)
I'd say that after about 6 months, it was back to 95%, and now a year later, it's at 99%. Very occasionally, if I impact it hard doing something, it will hurt a tiny bit more than I would expect, but nothing major.

Feet are something that we punish everyday of our lives, so I believe that giving them as much rest as possible really helped in my case.

recently I got dumped in again after a sub100ft opening on my canopy and basically have it "jelly fish" until landing

ha ha im sure it were 101ft opening;),but well i saw it only from above:ph34r::D did you manegede to clean your pants again...:P
Video will get your way next weekB|it wont be public before im sure all parts of the video is cool about it(sorry to the rest of you:)),if you would do me the favor to ask arround..cheers.

A heel fracture sucks as Tom said,take it easy bro,be ready when your harness will be thereB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I did the same thing on a swoop... came of the end and popped it up and came down on concrete ..cracking my heel...

That was 5 years ago and it still gives me shit...

I had all the hospital bollox..but there was nothing I could do except rest it..after a while (2months or so) I just got back in the air and took the pain...probaly my own fault it still hurts ..but 8 weeks on a stick didnt help either...

I shattered my heel at BD last year - and yesterday was the first time I have put a shoe on that foot since! I've been in a walking cast the last few months, and the real problem is lack of movement from having the foot held in the same position for the best part of 4 months. Plus the infection that set in after the surgery only cleared up last week, so, yeah, breaking a heel SUCKS!! And like the others have said, you stress that area with every step you take, so I also would strongly advise you to get Xrayed, MRI'd etc to find out what damage you have done, otherwise you might be doing more damage every day.
Look on the bright side - being on crutches is a great way to build upper body strength, as well as being useful in getting seated in a busy bar!!
Hope you get it sorted soon!
Nick

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

I touched a piece of wood today and got a splinter.
Although it hurt very much, i didn't cry!
Think i will avoid jumping for a day or two, do you think i need an x-ray or an mri scan?
Dan-the-Man;)

I touched a piece of wood today and got a splinter.
Although it hurt very much, i didn't cry!
Think i will avoid jumping for a day or two, do you think i need an x-ray or an mri scan?
Dan-the-Man;)

Nah! We aint American! A few days on the sofa drinking beer relaxing should sort out any injury!

;)

A few days on the sofa drinking beer relaxing should sort out any injury!

then you should have been healed by now:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

jive one im jiving to the jive doctor if this jiving jive monkey heel dont jive and heal

get my jive?

:P

Good news about the foot Nick!!!

drop me a note to give me the full run down!

i want to get back to the states again later this year.. z-hills was ace.. 66lobs in 13days even with a day off to play golf (weathered in!)

if your foot is better it would be cool to meet up and get some lobs together as with you not being that current by that point i might be able to stick with you!!! (wear lead btw!)

If it's safe it ain't fun

The impact might have damaged the fascia that runs along the bottom of your foot. It was unclear exactly what type of pain you were feeling.
It sounds like you might have a heel spur.
http://www.heel-spur-treatment.com/pages/plantar_fasciitis_exercise.php
I found this site and they offer some good advice on what causes heel pain and some stretches and exercises to help too.

That being said, you really need to see a medical professional if your heel keeps hurting. I think they even have a free guide.

I hope it helps.