gus

The diary of a newbie BASE jumper

On the recommendation of my mentor I've started to write down my first BASE jumps. It's a good idea, it lets me relive them again in my head and it'll give me something to look back on in years to come and laugh at how scared I was :S.

So I thought I'd put them online. I know there are alot of interested skydivers who read this forum and maybe it can give people a little insight in to what it's actually like. I'm not a great writer so forgive me if it comes across as a bit hokey or melodramatic, I don't mean it like that.

As a wise man once said to me, "It's not the same without the fast edits and banging soundtrack".

You can read what I've written here.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

be sure to make some vids of it gus
i liked your skydiving vids ya put on skydiving videos

well providing there aint jumps the public shouldnt see or what ever :ph34r:

Excellent recollection of those jumps. As a new base jumper myslef, I found it very cool to read. Keep em coming!

Ganja
1b, 1a, and 2s's

i actually felt like i was there wiht you at the exit point there with those logs.

i think i'm a long way off BASE jumping yet tho with only 100 skydives..

anyway well done on your first BASE and keep those storys coming there very exiting :)
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

i actually felt like i was there wiht you at the exit point there with those logs.

Yea me too Gus ;)

Good idea, like it. I always write a little "story" in my logbook and have enjoyed reading, several months after, what was in my head at the time

Stay safe

Neil

Yea me too Gus ;)

Yes......strange that. I guess that's just the power of the written word ;).

I'll try to update it over the weekend with #5.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Hey Gus,
After reading #3, I'm getting a lil' adrenaline rush going. That was a fun night jumping with new friends and I always get a kick out of watching new jumpers with a permagrin plastered on their face as they're welcomed into the world of BASE. I can still remember the yelp you let out as your canopy inflated. I wish the winds were better for you that night. We tried to jump it the next night but the winds were crossing the wire.

I use a notebook to log and I use about a page per jump. My buds used to kid me about it, but as the memory goes, the log will always be there. There is one that I must reread about once a month. We were out there jumping during a meteor shower and when I read the log, I swear I can smell the wet grass, feel the wind go from a whisper in my ears to a roar, hear the crack of the canopy, etc...

Once again, welcome to base.
Have fun and stay safe,
Chris

Problems just be opportunities in der workin' clothes.

I've been a bit slack with logging my jumps recently, but for anyone that's interested I've updated my BASE diary.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I give him 2 out of 10 for his plf!

It is all your fault - watching your scrawny chicken legs getting fried on that top rail threw me off completely. Please don't wear shorts again. Ever. :P

I have been lurking the BASE forum for sometime. I would love to find a mentor and try it someday. I made my first (BEER) balloon jump this past weekend. I got a little taste of what BASE is all about. It was truly the best jump I have made to date. The dead still air exit is amazing. I have really enjoyed reading your diary. In the beginning you said you were not a writer. As I read your diary I felt as if I were right there at your side. I will continue to lurk this forum and learn all I can about BASE.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227