Faber

BASE/Family

From talk back(discus about telling family about skydiving).

My parents know what im doing,i has told them clear out what im doing and why.

But after i read the tread in talk back i rembered that my dad asked if he could come along one day to see me BASE(he even wants a skydive tandem ride by me:S),at that point i said no,as i didnt feel sure about it.
My GF has joined a couple of times,but to my eyes its another thing..

any of you out there who had their parents whith as ground crew?

im not sure if its right to bring him/them,as i know i wouldnt even BASE on the same date as i has my kids but thats another thing..

any experience?
weired talk i know just wondering..:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Faber, you ALMOST made 2000 posts in one year. Let's try a little harder this next 12 months.......
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

you could do the same if you had been injuryed,how ever you are already on your way,as you dont even keep on track..

Sorry dude by my 71 jumps so far im still a newbie,thats why i postQ´s like that here,and NOT on Blinc.If you want better tecnical Q´s then go there,otherwise let me post,just dont read it if you dont want to;)

peace out

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Just funnin with ya Faber, sorry about the injury.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

its ok mate;) look at my faces:ph34r:;):D

im sorry about the injury aswell,but most becours i didnt learn how to prevent it before it happened..just my bad:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I wouldn't take my Mom/Dad/Bro/Sis or my 9 year old out to watch me BASE jump. I've had a couple of "easy" jumps blow up in my face, and I've seen "easy" jumps blow up, literally, in other peoples face. I just don't want to take a chance on being responsible for my family having nightmares for the rest of thier lives. Just my personal feelings regarding my family.

I'm fortunate in that my folks live literally within eyeshot of one of the most famous towers in the world... if not THE most famous (think interstellar phenomenon that was once the subject of a really bad Disney movie). I can see the thing blinking at me out my guestroom window.

I've almost got my folks convinced to come out and watch me do a jump from the tower. I've always believed that the best way to get understanding and (maybe begrudging) acceptance from people is to remove the shroud of mystery surrounding it.

I'm fairly confident they'll see me do one this Christmas. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Faber

Get your butt on the Concorde and fly over to Moab for the Turkey boogie!

>:(

HA HA i thourght it had its last flight;)
i would be more than happy to join you guys but mony from a part time job aint inviting for much a BASE journey[:/] hopefuly ill get my incurance payed whith in a year,then i sure pay you a visit;)

Zeinster, i had a similar plan,but im not sure thats why i ask oppinions around hereB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Get your butt on the Concorde

yeah go on i dare ya!!! its well past its sell buy date and is going cheap!!!

:D

bet you would rather freefall 180 - ah shit you do!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

On a recent trip, I was asked by one of the guys I was jumping with to specifically not post any videos of him jumping. I figured he was in trouble with the law, was running for office, or just had "one of those jobs" or something, so I accepted his request. Later, he explained that his mother was so upset when she learned he had started skydiving that he wants to protect her from learning he is BASE jumping...

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Years ago, my father came out and videoed me making my 2nd and 3rd BASE jumps from a nice little bridge over water. The next time either of my folks saw a parachute in use live was a year or so ago when my younger brother finally did a tandem skydive with me. Everything went well, of course, but they were a bit nervous. They really don't seem interested in being present for any more jumps, but they both look forward to watching the videos I bring back from trips. They might still make it to BD one of these years...

Mark

HI Mark
Thanks for that info.Did your dad ask him self to get along or did you ask if he wanted to?

I know my dad knows the risk,but still asked if he could see,but do i as his son,want him to take the risk of seeing me jumping?Not that i plan to do anything wild or cracy but you know. shit happens..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

From talk back(discus about telling family about skydiving).

My parents know what im doing,i has told them clear out what im doing and why.

Any of you out there who had their parents with as ground crew?

im not sure if its right to bring him/them,as i know i wouldnt even BASE on the same date as i has my kids but thats another thing..

any experience?
weired talk i know just wondering..:ph34r::D

Haven't had my parents as ground crew. However, my Pop was MORE than happy to walk me "down the aisle" on my wedding day this summer in TF. And by the way he was a-hangin' so damned far over the rail with a camera, I'll bet if he had a rig, he would have volunteered to do video. heh heh

(Ma was watching, complete with white knuckles, from below.)

I just kept remembering how my Dad would say,:D in his best scolding voice, "If someone told you to go jump off a bridge, would you?", after watching me follow my brother's jump from the roof of the barn.

niiice,i still owe you that gift dont i?;)

thanks i guess my dad gonna witness a BASEB|:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

At that point, he wanted to go. Again, they were daylight jumps from a very safe bridge over water. We were wearing life vests and we had a boat to pick us up.

If you are concerned about your father witnessing you having an accident, tell him that. If he still wants to go, I'd probably accept that he is competent adult making an informed decision and... since he is my father, I'd take him to watch. Just don't let him talk you into putting him off later... :P

Hopefully, it is obvious that the logic I suggest applying here to one immediate family member on a single jump should not be used for other individuals...

Mark

if I could jump in daylight I would love to take my parents along as ground crew.they know the danger and worry sick about it but they love to watch the video of the jumps of me and everybody having a kickass time jumping.the bust factor sucks too.imagin being in court with ma and pa for an illeagal BASE jump.I just got one of my brothers busted along with me on a really cool jump.[:/]

niiice,i still owe you that gift dont i?;)

thanks i guess my dad gonna witness a BASEB|:)

Hey, yeah, you DO!!! :P

The best "gift", Faber, would be to have you at the Turkey Boogie! Have you considered something a little less expensive than the Concorde? UPS, perhaps? :D

Hi evryone
thanks for the masive responce.
Lucky dad i have a A i can jump as much as i want,i will bring him to that one and let him see.

By my 71 jumps so far im not in a posision to pull ANY one off any thing,and i think my dad will be best at the ground as he is afraid of highs:ph34r:;)

Have you considered something a little less expensive than the Concorde? UPS, perhaps? :D

that could be a posibility,im not that fat(yet:ph34r::D) so it couldnt cost that much..Mac dont you answer this>:(:D:ph34r:

hopefuly i should be abel to travel more after i get my incurance payed.Just let them say i cant work ever again,then ill make a round the world tripB|And let them pay PLENTYB|

Have a blast in MoabB|;)whish i could be there

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i aint a base jumper but if i was i wouldnt want them coming to watch
and if they were curious id give them a video tape to watch lol

i dont even want me parents to come watch me skydive

i just now told my grandparents that i've picked up BASE. since i live with them, its too difficult to hide it. they worry, but are cool with what i do. they would never come to watch, even if i asked them to, although they've been out to the dz a couple times.

no other family members know... yet. but geez with the way everythings majorly hush hush about locations, i'm thinking some of the local BASE crowd would have a fit if i brought 'just anyone' along, including family.