SkydiveNFlorida

Base &/or Skydiving

Just curious as to when you guys started BASE jumping, and if it overtook your skydiving career, if you ever had one.

I am interested in BASE jumping, but I wonder how many skydives i'd have to make before someone would mentor me. I also have to consider gear costs and such.

Thanks for answering the poll, reply as well if you have more to add.

Angela.

Honestly, if someone is willing to mentor you before you have made 200 skydives, I would strongly urge you to find a different mentor.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom won't agree, but post a picture of yourself and someone might bite...

(Tongue in cheek)
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Thanks for your replies:P

I would rather that someone mentor me for other reasons than because i'm pretty. I want to learn from someone who trusts that i'd make a good base jumper and wants to teach/train me... not someone who wants to get me in bed.

Angela.

First off, I am an infant, but I think I know where your coming from (except for the mentor wanting to get me into bed part:P)...

I want to learn from someone who trusts that i'd make a good base jumper and wants to teach/train me...

Then go make yourself a couple hundred more skydives with lots of canopy control and some kick ass accuracy, then worry about BASE.

I did my 151st parachute ride after leaving a fixed object. It freaking rocked, but after careful consideration a few weeks later, I decided I was not quite ready for it. I sold the gear and shelved the idea. At 300 skydives, I came back. I'm a leetle more comfortable now;), much more serious and a bit more educated about both skydiving and BASE.

Had I not had that bit of careful consideration after that first jump--knowing how fueled by adrenaline I was, blindly chasing excitement--I am pretty sure I'd be dead or still in traction somewhere. Fuck all that. If it does happen, which BASE exponentially increases the chances of (see World BASE Fatality List), at least I can say I learned from some great people and prepared myself as best I could for it. It's not a race or something that just can't wait until you're really ready. All those objects will still be waiting for ya in a year or two.:)

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Then go make yourself a couple hundred more skydives with lots of canopy control and some kick ass accuracy, then worry about BASE.

Absolutely, I intend to :) I want to have canopy control a perfected skill by the time I jump from 500 foot objects. I was just commenting on the guy who said to post my picture. Not that I wouldn't post a picture, but just that when i'm ready to do this, I want someone teaching me because they feel I have what it takes, not based on looks.

Cheers!
Angela.

That's an admirable stance indeed.

Now cut to the quick and tell us if you're hot.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

That's an admirable stance indeed.

Now cut to the quick and tell us if you're hot.

LMFAO !!!

But who's going to teach a ugly git like me then ???

I'm not sure if I really should be posting in this forum as currently "I am NOT a base jumper" and didn't even find a category to vote for in this poll. But like many, I do have an opinion on when to start base jumping (I think).

I have the jump #s and canopy control skills to start base jumping now (and being in CO, you've got to think that I should be able to find a mentor). But I'm NOT rushing into base because currently I don't have the right mind set to spend the time up front educating myself on the gear, packing techniques and the general attitudes of when to jump and when to say "no".

It's my impression that base jumping is an order of magnatude more dangerous than skydiving and base jumpers really need to be knowledgeable and competent with all aspects of the sport. Canopy control is obviously a huge factor, but one also needs to assume that gear knowledge, packing techniques and the general go-no-go mind set must exist.

As far as whether or not Angela is a cutie. I don't know. But hopefully I will get to meet her this weekend while I'm in Sebastian and if she's a hottie, I may just have to sneak her (alive of course) into my bags when I return to CO on Sunday. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have the jump #s and canopy control skills to start base jumping now (and being in CO, you've got to think that I should be able to find a mentor). But I'm NOT rushing into base because currently I don't have the right mind set to spend the time up front educating myself on the gear, packing techniques and the general attitudes of when to jump and when to say "no".

thats the right idea! just because someone has the "experience" to take a FJC or to be accepted as possibly skillfull enough to BASE its all about the mindset - someone with 200 jumps may be more mentally ready than someone with 1000 jumps - its a personal thing. Jump numbers are just a guide i beleive............

but stood on the exit - you will know whether you are ready - its so so easy to sit behind your pc with 500 skydives and some knowledge and say I want to do this - its a different kettle of fish to be on top kitted up saying I want to do this.........

I "thought" I was ready when I had 200 skydives - How wrong I was! it took another 2 years after to "know" I was ready..........

As someone once said "You dont find BASE, BASE finds you"

..........fucking wind!!! :P