skreamer

Packing?

When you pack after your last jump, do you already know the nature of your next jump? (ie slider up/down etc.) If not, how do you pack it?

This was just something I am curious about, seeing as how packing for skydiving can pretty much be done exactly the same way each time.

Will

You almost always pack for a particular jump.

I have, occasionally, jumped a pack job I intended for something else (for example, been weathered off a terminal cliff, and taken the pack job to a terminal antenna a few days later. Just as often, though, I end up tearing apart my pack job and switching it around when I go out to do something completely different.

Often, people pack for a possible set of jumps, then pick their jump based on how they are packed. On the other hand, many people prefer not to pack until they know what they are going to jump.

So, for example, I might pack slider down, not knowing which of the local slider down jumps I will do, then put on an appropriate PC once I have an object in mind. Or, I might just wait until I know what I am going to jump tonight, then pack in the afternoon, before leaving for the jump.

Many jumpers are in the habit of packing one rig slider up and one rig slider down, so that they are prepared for whatever opportunity presents itself, with merely a PC switch (of course, if you are in the habit of tucking your nose or using a sail slider, this is more difficult to manage).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Stayin' local, some of us are not fortunate enough to have that option.[:/]
We have one 1300 foot stick, but no 'vator.(I'm lazy)
Other than that, the few local objects that we have are definitely on slider down turf...
Kinda takes the guess work out of the packing...

You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Many jumpers are in the habit of packing one rig slider up and one rig slider down, so that they are prepared for whatever opportunity presents itself

and have a system for identifying or remembering which rig is which (i.e. a pull-up tied somewhere (that won't interfere with the system) on the rig that is in a certain configuration) especially if you are forgetfull, have similar rigs or are not jumping frequently. You don't want to be taking your slider up, stuffed nose off a 200 footer!

In a similar vein, if your rig is not in a jumpable configuration, one recommendation is to pack the pilot chute inside the rig (as I would hope you check your PC at some point before exit!) so that it cannot be jumped. A few years ago, a jumper with two very similar rigs mistakenly picked up the one that had been field packed (i.e. rigger rolled/daisy chained) and jumped it!! Luckily he lived.

A few years ago, a jumper with two very similar rigs mistakenly picked up the one that had been field packed (i.e. rigger rolled/daisy chained) and jumped it!! Luckily he lived.

full story on the BASE board

edit: also a good example of the value of protective equipment

I have had the unfortunate luck to see someone ride a streamer into a talus with a previously packed rig.
I spent several hours getting him off the talus for heli-rescue.

Unless I plan to jump the rig within the next week, with the same jump as I packed for, I just filed pack to keep the parachute tidy. Then I close it with the PC inside where I can't access it. I also tend to turn the srivel flap upside down. Anything I can do to make sure neither I aor anyone elase can/will jump it before repacking it.
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

I Always pack slider off.Maybe becours im lazy and only have been on slider jump at onse(in BASE of course:o).
I like the idea of having 2 rigs,one for high and one for low.Just sorry that i only have one rig at the time..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Are the BASE sliders easily removable? Or do you have to disconnect the lines every time?
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

you have to remove... some jumpers just lock the slider on the frontrisers so it will be hold down(so it dosnt go up in the opening,makeing the opening slower).I personal jump whit out the slider.Maybe becours i mostly jump low.I mean that i can take the time to remove or replace it for a jump,that much troubel dosnt it make..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The more ya fuck with somethin', the more chances you'll have to fuck it up...I see no need to continually disconnect and reconnect the canopy to the risers...
Using a pull-up cord or a reasonable facsimile thereof to tie the slider down works just fine for me, although I have seen others using velcro "loops" for quick up or down changes...
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

The best method I've seen for keeping the slider down...

1) Pop the rubber covers off your links.

2) Slide the slider grommets down over the links, onto the risers.

3) Replace the covers.

Presto! The slider is trapped below the links, with no extraneous cords or tie downs that might complicate things.

Many thanks to Mrs. Jarvis' handsome son for sharing this technique with me.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you follow the BR manual they actuly say its more safe changing.. And why fuck up?you have all the time it takes.maximun 15minutes inkluding a line chek.I can erfort that to my life.
however the velcro thing sounds cool,my proteckters are in bad shape after beeing moved.
Thanks for the tip:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Just a thought, can't you use "S-Links" (soft links) in BASE ?
Or is that one of those complicating factors ?

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

I know one jumper who does use Slinks...Tandem reserve slinks.
So far so good.
But, as with most things in this sport, when trying this I believe you are placing yourself in a "test jumper" situation...
www.blincmagazine.com/cgi-bin/forum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3315&forum=board
It's also a matter of personal comfort...
I know this jumper personally, and jump with him quite often...He has since logged many more jumps with that configuration, so far without incident.

My Vertigo kit has some handy tabs with velcro that you tie your slider down with nice and tidy!

Be Safe...........

Cya

:ph34r:

I have the velcro tabs as well. They were made years ago.

But....
I do have 2 rigs, but even if I didn't, here is my thought on slider issues:
If you mostly jump slider down, take the slider OFF. This is because when you pack, there is less fabric in the pack tray and less mess to worry about getting screwed up. Much cleaner.

And then those few times you go to jump slider up, it takes all of 10 minutes to put it back on.

Not to mention the canopy flies much better with no slider as the canopy is not restricting the risers.

The inverse for mostly slider up jumping.
I know it sounds like a pain when you are doing it, but try going to the Perrine and slamming 7+ jumps in 1 day. When you take the slider off, I find it makes the packjob cleaner and faster as I am not messing with it because of the un-nessecary slider in the way.
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

Maybe I'm missing something obvious. I only own one rig and mostly do jumps that come pretty close to terminal but I also switch it over for 2 sec delays (slider tied down with velcro) about 20% of the time. Once I start packing my rig I don't stop until I'm finished. I find by doing this that I am not second guessing myself later on about whether I performed a certain step of the pack job. But no matter how much time has passed since the pack job, I can still tell which way my rig is set up with one look at the PC that is on rig. Big fat PC w/ no handle = short delay, small PC w/ little PVC handle = yahoooooooo, tracking time! On only 2 or 3 occasions have I been unsure about a pack job so even though I'm a slow packer by some peoples standards (30-40 min) I just whip the canopy out and redo EVERYTHING. Just my .02.

Problems just be opportunities in der workin' clothes.

Big fat PC w/ no handle = short delay, small PC w/ little PVC handle = yahoooooooo, tracking time!

This may be a difference in location. I occasionally pack both slider up and slider down rigs with a 42" PC, which has a cordura patch on the crown. I use this PC for slider up 4 second delays from a 700' S, as well as for slider down 2 second delays from a 480' A.

I rarely let a pack job sit long enough that I forget what's in it, but just looking at my PC is not enough to remind me if I have forgotten.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This is what happend to Nathan.
The rig he had was mesh slider up with a 42" PC at Bridge day. Then field packed incorrectly.
Daisy chained slider up. PC crammed into the BOC.

He pulled the PC out, wnet hand-held with the 42"er, and streamered into the talus below (400').
Mick Knutson