skymick

Excess line when packing

I was wondering if excess line from the risers to the first line stow can affect openings? At the moment I have close to a metre (3 ft) of line that I am coiling up at the bottom of the container before putting the Dbag in but I am a bit paranoid that when putting the bag in some of the loose line can go over a line stow and cause a bag lock. Is this possible or will the excess lines not cause any adverse affects on deployment?

Cheers

Yes, excess line can cause a problem...but usually its from not having enough line left over, not from having too much.

If you leave the excess too short, it has a tendency to migrate towards the middle of the tray as the bag is extracted, causing it to catch the corners of you're reserve tray. This usually just results in nasty line twists, but it can actually damage the container system by tearing the reserve tray loose of the main tray.

If you're leaving three feet of line out, you should be just fine. That's about how much line I usually leave out, if not a bit more. If you cleanly coil the line into the bottom of your container (against your back) then carefully roll the bag into place, you shouldn't have any problems catching the loose lines.

Think about this as well: If one of your line stows does manage to get caught up by a portion of loose line, as the bag extracts, having a bit more excess line in the bottom of the container gives you some slack to allow the stow to slip loose. At the worst, you're probably only going to get line-twists...but I kind of doubt you're going to run into that.

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right...just keep it clean and neat!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Performance Designs and Big Air both recommend leaving a minimum of 18 inches slack line between the last rubber band and the connector links.
Much shorter and you risk tearing your reserve container off.
Significantly longer and you risk tearing off a main side flap.
Fortunately modern container designers have worked long and hard to prevent idiots from doing either type of damage, but idiots are an inventive lot!
Hee! Hee!

Fortunately modern container designers have worked long and hard to prevent idiots from doing either type of damage, but idiots are an inventive lot!

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to sound as offensive or self-superior as it appears. A lot of the "idiots" you are referring to come here looking for this type of information: "Performance Designs and Big Air both recommend leaving a minimum of 18 inches slack line between the last rubber band and the connector links. Much shorter and you risk tearing your reserve container off. Significantly longer and you risk tearing off a main side flap." Good stuff.......they don't need the rest as a slap in the face, even with the little Hee! Hee!
alan

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to sound as offensive or self-superior as it appears. A lot of the "idiots" you are referring to come here looking for this type of information: "Performance Designs and Big Air both recommend leaving a minimum of 18 inches slack line between the last rubber band and the connector links. Much shorter and you risk tearing your reserve container off. Significantly longer and you risk tearing off a main side flap." Good stuff.......they don't need the rest as a slap in the face, even with the little Hee! Hee!

This is a misunderstanding. What he means is the quote "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious." (Or "you can't really make things fool-proof -- the moment you try, someone hires a better fool.")

We're all fools sooner or later. The wisest of us fools asks the rest what he should be concerned about doing wrong.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Instead of worrying about the amount from the links to the first stow, worry about the amount from the bottom of the reserve container to the first stow. Longer and shorter risers and smaller or bigger reserve containers will affect the actual amount of slack if you leave 18 inches from the links to the first stow. You could end up with a lot or only a little actual slack to go around the reserve container.

Derek

***Significantly longer and you risk tearing off a main side flap.

Why would this happen?
I've jumped my Sabre2 without a D-bag and with no stowes without incident.
Not arguing, just wondering.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I'm sure you didn't mean for this to sound as offensive or self-superior as it appears.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I apologize if my sarcastic tone offended anyone.

My intent was to remind people that we learned the mega-lesson 20 years ago and there is no point to re-inventing the wheel.
The mega-lesson is that you need some form of d-bag, diaper or tail pocket to minimize the chances of lines half-hitching around side flaps.