dthames

Experience and formation size?

In the announcement for next year’s Flock N Dock, it was mentioned that there would be an experience verses formation size rule. No reply was given to my question about the details of the rule.

But in general, has anyone presented a suggestion on experience verses formation size?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

My suspicion is that the rule is something like this: don't put inexperienced wingsuiters in large formations.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

dthames

In the announcement for next year’s Flock N Dock, it was mentioned that there would be an experience verses formation size rule. No reply was given to my question about the details of the rule.

But in general, has anyone presented a suggestion on experience verses formation size?

Nice can of worms you are opening.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Nice can of worms you are opening.

I didn't open the can! I just want to know what to expect.

This year we will be enforcing a minimum number of wingsuit jumps depending on the group size. Smaller groups will still be available for learning the skills.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4480809;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

10 way, 10 wingsuit jumps?
20 way, 20 wingsuit jumps?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

10 way, 10 wingsuit jumps?
20 way, 20 wingsuit jumps?

Not in my organized jumps, no. The fuckwad that destroyed my left ear had 30 jumps on a 25 way, and that was just one of multiple collisions. He had never learned to stop. If you can't properly manage yourself on all three axis you're not ready anyway.

It's more about demonstrated/known skills. And if you haven't demonstrated skills, then you'll be staying in small 4-5 ways until you do. An incident recently occurred where a WS convinced an org that they were able to manage a slot, that they couldn't manage, and minor injuries occurred.
A few years ago, an org put someone into a large flock that had no business being on any kind of flock, and that person hurt two others on the jump.

Look at the recent fatality in Oz; organizer completely fucked up by putting several newbies in a large flock. Newbie in the back of the plane killed himself and injured his friend.

50 solo jumps typically won't equip you for with you'd learn in 5-6 properly coached jumps.
There are people with 25 jumps that I'd be comfortable putting in a 10-12 way, and there are people with 100 jumps that I wouldn't want on an 8 way.

In other words, there is no rule/standard line; skills don't translate from jump numbers alone. A good organizer will know how to figure your skills and placement on flocks.

It may be a 'can of worms' conversation, but one that organizers and participants need to have (and several good orgs do have in the background).

dthames

What we are asking is that all wingsuiters turn up with a minimum of 15 wingsuit jumps. For fresh wingsuiters there will be the weekend and a few days before the event to get some quality jumps in.

Everybody that registers has to give us jump number details so I am keeping an eye on those to coach individuals.

However, the bigger change we are making is to add a lot more organizer slots so that we are able to have smaller groups for that that need\want more focused experience.

Flock n Dock is a great place to grow your wingsuiting experience but it is not a good place to become a wingsuiter for the first time, too much going on in the air to have a lot of solo's flying around.

So that we can keep the organizer:jumper ratio under control we are also limiting registration to 100 jumpers...and 41 are already taken!

PS. Sorry for the delay...in Europe at the mo and not always much of an internet connection...seems to depend on the clouds and troll activity.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

DSE

It's more about demonstrated/known skills.

There are people with 25 jumps that I'd be comfortable putting in a 10-12 way, and there are people with 100 jumps that I wouldn't want on an 8 way.

In other words, there is no rule/standard line; skills don't translate from jump numbers alone. A good organizer will know how to figure your skills and placement on flocks.

Concur completely. Jump numbers alone don't mean much.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.