ScabbedWings

Wingsuit question(s) one gear related one form related

Howdy. I'm Steph. I've been jumping for a while now and recently thought about qualifying for Wingsuit. Two questions I have about it are:

1. Do you need a BASE or Skydiving rig to wingsuit?

I don't really like the idea of not having a reserve.

2. I have a restriction in my right arm. I broke my elbow and now have permanent screws in it. I can't straighten my arm all the way. I can get it 90% straight, but not 100%. So, when tracking in a wingsuit, how important is how straight or not straight your arms are? I can track really well in a tracking suit, but from the youtube videos I can't see 'the way' to do it in a wingsuit as everyone seems to have a different style.

Howdy. I'm Steph. I've been jumping for a while now and recently thought about qualifying for Wingsuit. Two questions I have about it are:

1. Do you need a BASE or Skydiving rig to wingsuit?

I don't really like the idea of not having a reserve.

Hey Steph, unless I misunderstand you, if you've been jumping for a while you should really know the answer to this question.

2. I have a restriction in my right arm. I broke my elbow and now have permanent screws in it. I can't straighten my arm all the way. I can get it 90% straight, but not 100%. So, when tracking in a wingsuit, how important is how straight or not straight your arms are? I can track really well in a tracking suit, but from the youtube videos I can't see 'the way' to do it in a wingsuit as everyone seems to have a different style.

Symmetry is important in skydiving and moreso in wingsuiting so you may have to compensate with the left arm a little, but 10% doesn't sound like much, one probably wouldn't even notice it.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I fly wingsuit and also have lost 5-10% extension on my right arm from an accident in my teens. That amount hasn’t made any difference or caused any problems for me. I have a Ghost 3 and an S-Fly Expert (and have flown a few other types/brands).

For suits with grippers, your arm isn’t 100% straight anyway, but even on an S-Fly Expert with arms extended and palms flat down, it’s no problem and I don’t notice any difference.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"