pilotdave

Question for Vector3 owners (or Bill Booth!)

Ok, this is kind of a strange question but I need to know it for picking colors...

Is there trim tape running above the middle area where the stripes are? In other words, running diagonally down from the bottom corners of the reserve flap.

THIS ONE doesn't have it.

THIS ONE does have it.

Is it there on the 3-m and not the micron maybe?

Dave

My V3 doesn't have it. Its not an m series, and not a micron, it was manufactured in 8/2001
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Here is the post I made about my new V3 M-series (not micron). Apparently I do have that tape.

I'm curious if that strip is present in their 3D coloring thing on their site or not... I'm at work and my browser is shitty so I can't view that coloring thing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Ok, this is kind of a strange question but I need to know it for picking colors...

Is there trim tape running above the middle area where the stripes are? In other words, running diagonally down from the bottom corners of the reserve flap.

THIS ONE doesn't have it.

THIS ONE does have it.

Is it there on the 3-m and not the micron maybe?

Dave

All Vector 3 rigs have 7 center flap stripes ('sun beams', how I call them :)piping on the rig (like on the attached attached 'rig1.jpg'). Also, the bottom end of the reserve flap used to be tucked in below 1st and 7th 'sun beam' - I do not have a picture for that. I even think 'sun beam' 1 and 7 were on the reserve flaps on some rigs.

Some time ago, RWS changed that. Now, there is a trime tape (instead of piping) above 'sun beam' 1 and 7, and the bottom end of reserve flap is tucked in above beam 1 and 7 and below the this trim tape. This applies to V3M and Micron. See attached 'rig2.jpg' - that's how they all look like now.

Proof is here, on the order forms :)
V3M: http://relativeworkshop.com/pdf_files/05102.pdf

Micorn: http://relativeworkshop.com/pdf_files/05103.pdf

I thinks all original Vector 3s have 8 pieces of center flap piping ('rig1.jpg') and all V3M and Microns have 6 ('rig2.jpg). Am I right? :S

:)

I have 2 V3's which I had built for me by RWS...

Both were ordered with IDENTICAL color schemes...

Neither are Microns...

My V350M built @1/2001 does NOT have the trim tape on the bottom of the #4 & 5 reserve flaps...

My V343M built @ 1/2003 DOES have it on them...

Other than that, they are exactly the same...

Go figure...

Maybe Bill can educate us all...

Cya, Tom
Do you know where your tools are?

Well, the micron shown on the current RWS web page does not have the trim tape: http://www.relativeworkshop.com/sales/pdt_micron.html. Maybe it's an older design. But the 3D coloring program also doesn't show it.

Here's my problem. I don't want 7 "sun beams." I want 5 of them. I think it looks better that way. So my plan was to color the far left and far right sun beams the same color as the reserve flaps (see attachment). But with that big nasty piece of trim tape in the way, it'll ruin my pretty design.

Also... The attachment shows black trim tape. I think it looks good that way but it's tough to picture how it'll actually look. Should I go with black or blue tape?

Dave

Well, I don't know for sure if I can agree with the original vector3s havint the 8 pieces of pipping. Attached is a picture of my rig, I belive that is the sort of effect that your going for dave?

It looks like there are only 5 sections and the rest is just part of the reserve flaps. As for if you can get a M-series with out the extra tape there, I guess only RWS can answer that, but I do know that its on the newer M-series and not on the older 'original' V3. Per the attached.

This might be a case of an optional item or not. The rig that I have, I am second owner of, and it was purchased with minimal options when the original owner bought it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

So my plan was to color the far left and far right sun beams the same color as the reserve flaps (see attachment). But with that big nasty piece of trim tape in the way, it'll ruin my pretty design.

Even if you have the trim tape the same color?

Josh
Again I do not have trim tape on the 4 and 5 flaps on my Micron 304
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

It's there, but it's matched to the color of the container fabric -- or that's how it is on mine. But I have a split color rig.

Why don't you call a sales rep at RWS and find out for sure.

FWIW: that first photo is of a rig I have in our store. I'm pretty sure there is royal blue trim tape there, but it doesn't show well in the photo (I'm off today, or I'd check for sure).

Here's my problem. I don't want 7 "sun beams." I want 5 of them. I think it looks better that way. So my plan was to color the far left and far right sun beams the same color as the reserve flaps

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people do it. But still, even if it is the same color as reserve (trim tape or piping and two outside 'sun beams'), and you make only 5 'sun beams', that 'trick' will be visible on closer inspection...:|

Well, I don't know for sure if I can agree with the original vector3s havint the 8 pieces of pipping. Attached is a picture of my rig

This rig has space for 8 pieces of piping, but number 1 and 8 were left 'blank' (no color specified on order form), as probably requested by the buyer... There is no trim tape there. That was done to create an illusion that there were only 5 'sun beams' (like on Vector 1 and Vector 2). This illusion would be even better if you colored the middle 5 'sun beams' with a different color. But again, on closer look, this 'trick' is visible (blank 1st and 8th piping)... :|

Here are some good pictures of older Vector 3s, with 8 pieces of piping :)
http://www.airspeed.org/vector_1435.htm

http://www.airspeed.org/vector_1434.htm

On these rigs, the piping of internal riser covers was left blank (no color specified). BTW, piping is a trim tape folded in half and inserted in between sections, so that only its edge sticks out.

And again, I have seen older Vector 3 rigs where 'sun beams' 1 and 8 were ON the reserve side flaps. The reserve flap was then tucked in UNDERNEATH them. So, the main panel had five 'sun beams', plus two on the reserve side flaps - it made all these combined seven 'sun beam image' look very 'wide'.

Thats what I found on http://www.relativeworkshop.com/general/news2001.html

"07.10.01 - Change in Piping on Vector 3
As of August 6, 2001, piping on the reserve side flaps of the Vector 3 will no longer be available. On the current order form, the two items that will be removed are letters a and h. All orders received prior to August 6 will still be allowed to have the extra piping."

:)