paulca

What would you do?

There's a lot of good advice that's been given in this thread, but you must remember that you, and only you, are responsible at the end of the freefall for deploying your parachute and landing it safely. With that said I'm sure that everyone who's posted in this thread checks their gear multiple times during the course of the day. Me personally:

-When I pull it out of my gear bag at the beginning of the day and turn on the AAD (at the DZ).
-Whenever it's left my sight and I'm getting read for a load but not yet putting it on.
-Prior to putting it on for a load.
-Have someone I'm jumping with do a once over.
-Check of 3's a minimum of 3 times in the aircraft.
-Pin check on the main and reserve prior to the door opening.
-Once over after packing
-At the end of the day when I turn the AAD off.

It's the only thing that's gonna save my scrawny ass once I leave the plane and I'm gonna make damn sure that everything works the way it's supposed to.

P.S. - check of threes is...
1. Three handles - in deployment order (PC, Cutaway, Reserve)
2. Three straps - your chest both legs, looking for improper routing and tightness (don't know what happened to you previously, but this might have helped you out)
3. Three rings - proper routing of the three ring system (I always think poppa bear, momma bear, baby bear), rings rotate freely, proper routing of the cutaway cables, and RSL properly routed and connected.