skydivingchad

Racer containers

Racers suck

Well I don't disagree, but that does make me laugh. Perhaps you can say WHY you think that?:P

Many racers let the Risers covers peel open.. except LouDiamonds... Ok that wasn't nice, not just his I'm only picking on Lou for no real reason except we've disagreed before :$ First Beer is on me when we finally meet. (hopefully not literally)

IF... the riser covers come open, the entire riser is exposed. It can simply pull some of the lines out from the main container and let it flail about. I've seen a couple very intense malfunctions caused by this.

Larger racers suck for freeflying some of small ones do too but the large ones especially have issues in head down or doing other spinny maneuvers.

If the top of the side flap of the reserve flap is not covered well, the Riser covers simply blow open.

I like to use the word "simply" since It used to be published in the Racer owners manual for things like simply releasing one side of the RSL prior to cutting away the main, in the scenario where the reserve is deployed first and the main second.

Dual Rsl connections what a brilliant Idea. (that's me not being serious in case you missed the sarcasm)

I just looked on their site for a picture of the Speed bag/Freebag that's loaded with more rubber bands than my main bag. I found the main D-bag but no the Freebag.. sorry... It's been posted before.. hey .. I'll search!!! (light bulb Icon) Speed Bag

Here's an interesting post by Bill Booth. Read this then scroll to the bottom and read his last post. Actually that threads pretty good reading.

Oh... I just read Where they say the reserve is open in 90 feet. In fact I'll paste it here...

It was designed to be the fastest in the world. It is. We have never tested a rig that can deploy a reserve faster than the worst Racer deployment. We average less than half the deployment distance of any other rig available-about 90 feet versus in excess of 200 feet for the others. Those are the facts. Period. When it REALLY counts-below 200 feet-the Racer, not your rigger, will be there for you.

That's a good salesman!!

90 feet? <=== I have a rig (3 actually) designed for rapid deployment. With out a slider and using a very large pilot chute, hand held, it It takes at least 130 feet. I'm sure I can get it to be slightly less but That's a bit advanced for my taste.

My first intentional break away was on an Eclipse, It took 3 seconds including a one second delay to open. I'd say another second or so to fully pressurize. Racers aren't any faster than that.

Get one if you want. Riggers tend not to like them for several reasons. Most of it isn't cuz they are hard to pack because they are not. Changing the quickloop is time consuming though.

The site has a lot of FAQ's defending why it is the way it is. There is actually some good stuff on there. It's worth a read.

Stated in other threads, I haven't seen the newer Racers. They just aren't popular around here.

Holy shit.. that's a long post. I'll be impressed if you get this far. Good night.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Stated in other threads, I haven't seen the newer Racers.

And this is why the information in your post above does not apply to the new racers. I guess anyone can pick on any manufactures old products! :PThe 2K3 is very freefly friendly. The riser covers are tuck tabs (no Velcro) as is the main closing flap. I would like to see what your objective opinion is after you see what Jump Shack makes now. You also might read the November Skydiving Mag. There is a full-page review on the new Firebolt and some comments about the racer.

Stay Safe,
Mike

I don't get the Magazine.

It's still a 2 pin pop top and they still use the rubberband Freebag. Call me old fashioned, but I think it's a bad Idea.

Ok.. then my statements apply to used Racers, and they're out there so my points are valid. Just kinda had the gumption to actually state them.

We all have opinions. Mine is out there for all to see. I'm well versed in Racer repacks and other maintainance. You ask.. i'll share.

I'll still jump with you even if you jump one:P Seriously, this is only the internet.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I just dumped the reserve on my Racer and my friends nice fashionable Mirage M0. I always feel good when my reserve pilot chute launches cleanly the full length of the bridle before it hits the ground. The Mirage has a much stronger spring and launches well but (in my mind)it was no contest - the Racer wins. My next rig will be a Power Racer M2K if it is as comfortable as my NOS and I don't think they are.
2 pin vs 1 - who cares it works. all the velcro - no problem just replace it often. whining riggers - just get a good rigger. whining packers - who cares what they think. FF friendly - can't comment on this one since I will never own a baggy suit.

i've owned 2 racers. bother were older sst models but i loved em. my next new made for me rig will be a racer.... love the comfort, onlythingi don't like is the shit you get from other people/rigers about the poptop and 2 pins.... i real don't care.... when i needed my reserve it worked fine.... and this was on a nearly 20 year old container!!! (dom of 83 used in 2001)

p.s. i love to see the old early 80's racers with the exposed risers for about 10"... if someone has never seen one and then do they are like "something is wrong with your rig dude"... always had to tell em it was suposed to look like that......

p.s. as for someone saying they look ugly well, i like em........ much better looking imho than a jav!!!!!!