Thargon

Failed roll attempt in V1.

Hi all.

I´ve had a go on some roll attempts, some better then others.
Last one I tried I got on tape and doesn´t look that good.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=6054
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8KO5W7ZHaM
I find it pretty hard to stop the roll once it get started. Anyone wanna give me some pointers ?

I´ve watched fly-like-a-brick videos at least 1000 times, it seems easy when they do it ...

/Seven

plucked from the sky!!!

looking at that barrel roll - you twisted your torso mid roll and then once you felt you were off balance you tried to counter (or grab) the air to stabilize with your wing which sped up the shorizontal spin. for starters concentrate on heading and concentrate to do the roll and SLOWLY open up again until you are used to the differnce forces and the different places that the resistance wants to push when you roll. keep your legs together and closed - thats the number one reason for dipping your shoulders, going head low and causing the wedge effect on your tail wing wihich pushes you into a spin. when flying straight and you want to do the barrel roll next time - think deep breath - relax pitch chest up slightly and think head high roll your shoulder and close your legs or cross your legs - keep thinking legs through the spin - slowly open ... good luck!

if you have the time - go do barrel rolls on a tracking dive - it will speed up you learning curve

it is of course much easier and safer to learn barrel rolls in a smaller suit ;)

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

It seems to mostly be your recovery...
If you look at your roll, you're doing fine up untill 3/4 into your roll.
You come out a little headlow, which is not that big a problem, but (like pierre says) you then start to push to hard on the wings. And as a result even completely collaps the armwings.

Make your roll, and then, open up fully, and keep the armwings open. No matter what happens.

Quite often the last part of our fly-like-brick videos says 'dont forget to smile', which is just a silly way of saying...relax..

Being too tense can quite often cause these rolls to not go completely as you want.

When you're flying...take a nice deep breath...relax....and then slowly do your barrelroll. Dont try to forcefully push yourself over quickly...just let it all happen slowly. And as soon as you start coming out..open your armwings...and let it fly...dont start to emmidiately counter and correct moves that havent happened yet.

Just like an airplane, it takes one or two seconds for your actions to actually happen. So dont overcorrect...when you are back belly to earth, coming out of your rotation (or just before) go back to your normal flying posture/position...and let it fly for a few seconds before you start to respond to any moves/twists etc.

A standard reaction to instability is usualy collapsing (or pushing) on the armwings...which is quite often excactly whats causing the headlow drop that follows...

And even though we 'make it look easy', remember that we also learnt to do those with a lot weird turns and 'stylistic' manouvres before they went right.

All the info about 'what not to do' in thos videos is firsthand experience in doing it wrong...more then once;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Leave your wingsuit partner out of it for a few jumps...just relax, and dont ad the 'stressy' factor of letting your buddy film you, warning him when to roll, trying to fly relative to him etc.

Do a couple of jumps just trying the barrelroll...videi is great for debrief, but just getting 'the feeling' is most important.

Just relax..do some solos trying this...and worry about the camera again later...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?