Stuuu

Body Position

If you start sinking when you are arriving at the flock, it could be you are braking, and thereby completely stalling your wingsuit.

Watch the video called 'forward speed' at http://www.flylikebrick.com/manual.php and see if you find yourself doing anything like this.

Though getting a bigger suit is always the easy (and expensive) answer, unless its massive amounts of forward speed you are missing, quite often its just a change in flying style thats needed.

I found myself quite sinking out on formations (even once with a whole sidewing of a 42 way following me...:P) and analizing video of myself doing this, I always saw the same 'lazy' leg position.

Instead of just taking some of the forward speed out, by slightly raising my lower legs, I just let my upper legs droop/hang beneath my body. Causing me to brake too much, and sink out on the formation..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Bigger suit is my vote. Or you can be the base.

Hey Jarno, if the guys he's flying with have not figured out a way of flying with him or, including him in the dive plan, I only see a bigger suit as the answer.

He's 235 lbs exit weight , depending on who he is flying with and how tall he is, technique may not be the issue here.

I based that answer by looking at his profile, even though I didn't mention it.

Kris.

Bigger suit is my vote.

Without even knowing the speeds the flock is doing? What suits the other people are flying? how heavy he is? how heavy the people he is flying with are?
Dang..You should be in sales;)

I say, see whats causing you to sink...and work on those skills...

If that doesnt work, and you're really flying to suit to the max and have cash burning in your pocket...then start looking for a bigger suit..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Bigger suit is my vote. Or you can be the base.

I sunk out on just about every flock I was on....same situation as JDamn described....lotsa height and 'range' approaching the flock....but when getting in...and adjusting to the forward speed of the flock...bye bye

It was /is frustrating me alot.....ie..lotsa of 'float' and range on approach but a big sink out when getting in the flock.

I'm 210-215lbs and fly a Phantom....I have the means and ability to buy/handle a bigger suit ( and will be shortly) but I'm quite stubborn and realised this is a pure lack of skill/ability/body position kinda thing.....NOT just because I have a big belly/small wing.

I've actively been working on my technique with this in mind and thanks to UC/Mccordia and a couple of Nethers Birds ( not to mention a shit load of solos) am making decent progression in my 'flocking' ability.

Summary.......bigger wings help ( especially for us fatties) but its no subsitute for experience and technique....end of story

Thanks for the video link- I can see some areas that I should work on- so how does one stay up with the flock while maintaining forward speed? Most of the wingsuit pilots that I fly with have V1, so it seems as though I am at a disadvantage with the smaller wing. Can I maintain full flight while achieving enough lift to stay relative with the other wingsuits?

Thanks for the video link- I can see some areas that I should work on- so how does one stay up with the flock while maintaining forward speed? Most of the wingsuit pilots that I fly with have V1, so it seems as though I am at a disadvantage with the smaller wing. Can I maintain full flight while achieving enough lift to stay relative with the other wingsuits?

Your suit being smaller, it will definately be a bit more difficult for you (depending on their mode of flight)
If they are really flying all out, full speed. Then its going to be hard to keep up with them, and upgrading to a faster suit is going to be needed.

But in this situation, it would be the forward speed you'd be lacking mostly. And you seem to be strugling with downward speed mostly?

Getting some more info on the downward speeds the flock is doing would really help in terms of giving you a good and informed answer.

If they are doing 40 mph flights...you're going to have a hard time..
But anything at 60mph and higher should be doable in most suits...but
again..only talking fallrates...the biggest difference in bigger suits are the forward speeds when they max out..although..ofcource...for big boys..flying gets a LOT easyer when you're flying something bigger.

Just try having someone video you during the approach/flocking, and see what you are doing. Just to see if its your flying that can use improvement....

Im always a firm advocate of not spending a lot of money when there may still be other options...B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

we can fly together, but it is always the other pilot doing all the work! I would like to take a more active part in making the flock easier for everyone, instead of being that guy that always is the low man just keeping flight heading. More importantly I want to get my skill level up so that my range of flight is greater.

Listen, first of all you were born to enjoy life, not to suffer. ;) So think if sweating your ass off at 210lbs flying a smallish suit with skinny guys in big suits in relaxed mode and probably laughing at you is what you want to do. Do you really want to be a Gay Ballet performer?

As a scientific experiment, please ask the 180lb guy to put on a 30lb belt and measure his fallrate. Maybe now it will be him posting the question about body position. ;)

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio