JovialChris

Gear, Rigging and Airports?

Carry the rig on, bring all the relative paperwork that you can find, including the TSA letter, a letter from the airline if you can get one and your cypress card.

Shouldn't be too much of a big deal if you are patient and take plenty of extra time to get through security.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Just got into and home from the US with my gear as carry on, no problems there. When I passed the controls at LAX I had to open my bag cause the lady at the x-rays didn´t know that it was a parachute and wanted to take a look, but I was very nice and patient. She called her supervisor as she saw the rig she knew what it was and within 2 min. it was ok and I could pass, no big of a deal.
Just don´t put it in your suitcase, they scan them for explosives at the airport, that might cause some trouble.
Oh, and I wouldn´t mention that you have a gear with you, only if someone askes directly, low profile, you know.

Ride on & Blues!
Jens
------------------------------------------------------
ROCK ON,.....HARD!
Proud European!!

they scan them for explosives at the airport, that might cause some trouble.

I don't think the charge in the cutter will be detected, are you thinking of something else?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Last year, while at the x-ray machine, I overheard the conversation between attendants. Attendant 1 asked, "Are parachutes okay?", Attendant 2 replied,"yes, unless they have that little "explosive device". Attendant 1 promptly asked if that thing (my CYPRESS) was the "explosive device". I replied that "No, that is not what he (Attendant 2) is talking about, that is something else". Attendant 1 then looked at Attendant 2, saw that he was busy and then replied, "okay, come on through..I guess". This is good, since I could not, at short notice come up with "what exactly that device was" in case it was pursued further.

In retrospect of my last experience, I'm just looking for the best way to go about this. It is my understanding CYPRESS travel is officially against airline policy at this time (even though we can flash them our explanation cards). The reason why they get through is that there are very few attendants that are knowledgable enough to know what exactly the policy is in reference to parachutes.

JovialChris

I'm Lost! Which way to the Prairie?

I don't think the charge in the cutter will be detected, are you thinking of something else?

It's not only the cutter that will draw attention. If you've seen a lot of bombs - and not a lot of rigs - a rig can look REALLY exciting on an X-Ray. This is mainly because of the reserve ripcord heading to the centre of a metal coil spring, and the cutter (A detonator) terminating inside a large body of low bulk (Packed Nylon - but could be C4, Semtex or some IE) material.

t
It's the year of the Pig.