mbondvegas

Phoenix-Fly Tracking Suit Speeds and Body Position

I recently got a Phoenix-Fly tracking suit (pants and jacket) and have been learning to fly it. My best to date (8 jumps so far) is an average vertical speed of 77MPH (SAS per protrack) with a minimum speed of 57MPH.

I've noticed that flying palms up and arms at 45 degrees (not next to body and not 90 degrees out from shoulders) with super stiff legs and arms pushing down to be lower than torso seems to work best. I've flown several times with GPS and have logged distances up to 1.45 Miles. I'm super new at this though...what has worked best for you? Any other tips on maximizing time/distance on these suits?

THanks!
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

1.45 miles seems low(depending on exit altitude and pattern and other factors)...I was getting just over 2 miles on my first two jumps(did not jump the P+J much) with average downward speeds in the low to mid 80s.

2 miles on a jump from 13.5 with a 3.5k opening is just 1:1 glide and that is achieveable.

Kris.

Godd effort, before i spent my time being pissed off with waiting key hole surgery, I used to skydive and also used to do lots of wingsuit and tracking suit jumps. working my butt off would get me average 74mph TAS. Best way to train i found was jumping with fat wingsuit pilots or kind ones who like watching you work you nuts off while they cruise lazily along grinning at you trying to match them.

Cheers

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

I've noticed that flying palms up and arms at 45 degrees ... with super stiff legs and arms pushing down to be lower than torso seems to work best.

That's about what I've been doing for best glide, except that my arms are on level with, not blow my torso. And my legs aren't so "super-stiff" as they are "firm, yet relaxed" like you might do in freeflying. Fall rates are around low-mid 70s for me, but the forward speed is insane. Glide is up to 1.3 - 1.4 for me (1.4 with a bit of tailwind).

I get better fall rates (low-mid 60s) in a normal track position, but get smoked in distance due to the loss of forward speed.

I'm 5'10, 150lbs (170+ out the door) and have about 150 jumps on my PF tracking suit.

1.3-1.4 Sounds good. You would get between 2.5-3 Miles on a jump from 14K. I'll have to try to loosen the legs a bit. Anyway, I'll definitely have to keep experiementing...I'm only getting glide ratios of about .9 to one so far. I could kind of tell that there was a trade off at some point between minimum fall rate and maximum glide. Maybe I can talk some of the part-time birdmen to fly with me soon and see how I do. Eitherway, playing with this suit is way FUN. BTW-I'm 6'2" and about 225 out the door.

What GPS device are you using. I'm using my wifes Forrunner and it gives some inconsistent readings and will only record once every 3 seconds and doesn't work with tracking derby. I'm going to buy a Fortrex 201 soon.
- - -

Yup! I wasn't happy with what I got off of the Forerunner. It seemed to work OK for some jumps (when used with google earth), but I really like the detailed info that trackingderby.com is giving people who use the Foretrex 201, so I am definitely getting one of those soon. And then...it's time to save up for a wingsuit course and suit (I know I still need about 130 more jumps...but give me 6 months, and I'll be there.)B|
- - -