deronde

type of RSL

I just bought a secondhand Atom Millenium with a Merit 190. The thing is it hasn't got a RSL fitted.

I've only got 37 jumps including student jumps, and 0 emergencies, so the question is not wether or to fit one or not, I will.

The question is which type? I've heard that there is a newer type which is attached to both risers. Does anyone out there know/own a type like this? Pros, Cons? Are there any more types I need to know about?

no one's listening to deronde. D said that their mind is made up, they want an RSL, they're just enquiring about what different types there are.

My answer is that I would be amased if your rigger would fit anything other than one which hooked to one riser and went traight to the reserve pin. I think I know what you mean when you refer to other types but they aren't very common. I know the skyhook attaches to both risers but you can't get that on anything other than a new vector.

I believe Deronde is referring to the default RSL setup for an Atom, which is to have a double RSL, leading to double pins through double loops, both through the normal single central grommet...
Gotta love those French.

Deronde: Go to your local rigger, they should be able to retrofit the RSL for you. (If you really want it...)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

I believe Deronde is referring to the default RSL setup for an Atom, which is to have a double RSL, leading to double pins through double loops, both through the normal single central grommet...
Gotta love those French.

Huh? I have an (old) Atom with the original RSL on it. Meaning the pin is not straight but is 9-shaped and the RSL attaches to the loop.
Pro's: no need for the metal rings, also you can't loose your reserve ripcord because the pin won't pass through the housing. And no kinks in your cable because the RSL is attached directly to the pin.
Cons: you need a new ripcord if you want to remove the RSL entirely (and not just disconnect the riser-end). Also you need a new ripcord if you have a regular one and want this type of RSL, so I don't think that's very cost-effective.

For a retrofit RSL on an Atom you're gonna end up with 2 metal rings, and a very normal RSL, c'est tout.

There WAS a double sided RSL, mainly on Racers (which are NOT french methinks). Don't think you can get that anymore, wouldn't want to either.

And like sombody else mentioned, a skyhook isn't available for your rig.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Huh? I have an (old) Atom with the original RSL on it. Meaning the pin is not straight but is 9-shaped and the RSL attaches to the loop.

The key word here is old...The current preferred setup for RSLs on Atoms is the double RSL, setup exactly the same as you mention, but with two pins that the reserve ripcord pulls.

found a piccy off of PdeF's website...>:(...bigger than 60K...won't let me upload...go to www.parachutes-de-france.com to see it...

(I'll post it tonight when I get home to a decent puter!)

Ru.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies