ManBird

Formation Flocking

This last weekend was mainly about getting a little more technical with our flocking -- building slot perfect, no contact formations. It went pretty damn well and we learned a lot. We just went with wedges and diamonds, which were pretty easy to build, everyone in the right slot, with no more than one person, if any, not making it in.

One of the biggest learnings, for me, was about "dressing for success". My GTi was borrowed and didn't make it to the DZ. I was fighting like hell in my S3 to stay with an all Classic and GTi formation. Once I threw on a demo Classic II, staying tight in formation was cake. Mr. Weber pointed out the importance of weights and clothing to provide fall rate control in a formation, in any form of skydiving. A lot of people would scoff at the idea of wearing weights with a wingsuit (defeats the purpose, right?), but I can definitely see this becoming a necessity in formation flocking. Having a ten foot margin of vertical "bobbing" is simply unnacceptable when you're trying to build an actual formation. Oh, and a tight exit helps a lot, too. ;)

I think as people get more experienced at using weights and switching suits, we'll see formations build more easily. Those conceptual large diamonds and deltas are pretty close at hand.

BJ, where were you?
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

If it´s not on video it did not happen;)

I know you don't mean it, but as an aside, this is one of my least favorite philosophies in skydiving and BASE. Leaving cameras out makes the moment a lot better for me in most cases. Anywho...

Hey where is the video and pics

Just need time to rip everything. I suck at video (generally just use it for coaching), so the footage isn't 100% super. I try to make up for it with cool editing and music. :)
Now totally contradicting myself, I wish we'd had outside video of a burble hopping jump we did. It was pretty nice.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Bro, I'm not absolutely the shit at Birdman Photography, although I'm pretty happy with some of my recent stuff (regardless of the refusal of the mags to pic it up)

Experiment! If you are not the bomb on your back, do the rabbit! Wingsuit photography is REALLY HARD. I bet my SoCal brother will confirm this.

Keep trying! It's hard, but the folks who know, know how hard those pictures are to get!