peterk

Smoking Pants/ Birdman BASE pants?

Anyone have any experience with smoking pants or Birdman BASE pants? I was thinking about getting or making some of my own, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

What are the difference with the BASE version vs. the normal version? How much thrust away can you get with the BASE pants, and how well will they inflate at subterminal? (Yes, I know, I have several BM jumps, I know it all depends on the flyer, etc...)

Even better, anyone know how to build some cheapies with $10 pants from WalMart? The idea came from the fact that it is difficult to point the toes to track with rigid boots on...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

I've jumped all of the above, but none were subterminal. BirdMan BASE Pantz absolutely smoke the "normal" (freefly) version in tracking. The freefall version is more well-rounded for general skydiving. The BASE version is a totally different beast. I've been averaging about 76MPH down and about 96 MPH forward (at terminal). I never got below the high 80s on the normal version (but also didn't jump them as much).

Smoke pants vs Pantz is REALLY subjective, because no two pair of smoke pants are the same. Withe version I made, I found that I had a decent fall rate right away (sub 80 on first jump), and it took almost no work to get a low fall rate. I threw in a "smoke jacket", as well, so I don't have experience with the head-low flight that others have reported.

The BirdMan Pantz took a little more work to start hitting the same fall rates, but they don't hinder my forward speed at all, and actually add about 5MPH to it. The smoke suit had a lot of drag in general, which severely cut back my forward speed (by almost 20MPH!) giving an overall lower glide. But then again, this is all out of a plane.

Either one will inflate immediately (stiff breeze will inflate my Pantz). If you're doing something that is just high enough to let you do a little tracking, my guess is that the surface area of a big smoke suit will catch sooner and get you tracking earlier. For something big and terminal, you'll probably get more distance from the BirdMan Pantz. I'd highly recommend having both.

Search this forum for threads on making your own smoke suit. The basic idea is ZP material (waterproof works well), sealed "outlets" (wrists and ankles), and very tiny inlets high up on each piece (usually grommets on the inner/upper shoulder and upper thighs (slightly inner)). My whole suit was $38.

Wear the smoke pants oustide of your leg straps, but make the waistband TIGHT, or you might pull a Tom (pants around the ankles in freefall). BirdMan Pantz can be worn under leg straps without a performance hit, but the leg straps should be a little loose. Plus, they make your ass look rad.

In the last nine months or so, I have about 100 skydives between the three above mentioned articles of clothing (all other jumps are wingsuit).
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

If you order Birdman Pantz make sure they are large enough to inflate. My Pantz are too tight, and when jumping my Pantz from Kjerag they inflate only on every third jump, and sometimes only on one leg, which makes it a little more interesting :)
/Micke

Good call. I wear like a 32/33, but ordered 36 or 38 (I forget which). I measured with my leg straps on, in case I ever wanted to wear them under the Pantz. The strappy thingy makes them fit at the waist. Along these same lines, it's good to wear very little underneath them. If it's cold, I just wear thermals. If it's not... just try not to stare into the mesh inlets.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click