base428

S3 Hackey Handle Fluttering Problems

I finally got to put a few jumps on my S3 this year and found it a little difficult to grab the hackey handle on my BASE pouch. It wasn't that I couldn't find it, however, it was due to the constant vibration and fluttering of the hackey handle (it's a BM pilot chute). I did a few two ways flying inches apart and the other guy was pretty concerned at the fluttering. During deployment, it took me a few seconds to "catch" the handle as it was bobbling around a bit. On subsequent jumps, I pushed the hackey handle in the pouch further that helped a little bit. I suspect the airspeed over a BASE pouch is much higher that that on a traditional BOC pouch.

Any tips on reducing hackey fluttering? Velcro on the hackey? A different handle? Thanks!
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I have issues with pouch,most people in panic situation revert back to muscle memory,reach for boc. on base jump, you would have gone in looking for hackey. only know of 2 base wingsuit flyers overseas that use pouch,most seem to agree that dont make radical changes to pull seq.becouse in emergency you may be looking for hacky in wrong place as you thunder in,tighten your pouch,or stay with BOC and hackey will always be there,pushing hackey deeper sounds kinda "scary" to me good luck
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Fabric is always in all the way into the pouch. Hackey handle was about 3/4" from end of pouch when fluttering happened. I was using a BM 28" P/C. The only way I could reduce fluttering was to have the hackey at the very opening of the pouch. If the hackey sneaks out a few centimeters, then the fluttering starts back up.

I'll go back to BOC and see if that's any easier.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Jason,

Well I have to say that I've never had any problems with my BASE pouch. I really love it and it has simply become second nature to use.

As for why yours flutters, cannot come up with any suggestions apart from the fact that it's snaking out a little during flight and so flaps in the breeze.

Here's a link for a discussion on packing the BASE pouch PC (sorry, don't know how to make it a clicky.

Since starting this way, I've substituted the penny whistle for a 12" wooden ruler that I found in one of my kid's school pencil case.

So try it and let me know how you get on.

fergbird

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=778621;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

>>
most people in panic situation revert back to muscle memory,reach for boc. on base jump, you would have gone in looking for hackey
>>
Sorry man, but this is bullshit. If you went back to what you know you would go in trying to grab your pc from the boc - the wing is hiding it. If you want to grab your pc from boc you have to totally change your grabbing move (at least with a S3). The pouch is located a little further down, but the move is smoother and faster and there's no wing in the way. You're right that you should be used to the location of the pc, but the solution is to get used to the pouch. I wouldn't jump boc in base.

As for the fluttering: I don't have that problem and I use a S3 with BM 28" pc and 10 ft bridle. But I think that the 28" pc is very loose in the pouch and therefore don't do things like back-flying when the pc is in there. For those moves I go back to boc. I can imagine that your pc is sneaking out a little bit and then starts to flutter. I always check that it is well inside the pouch just prior to exit. If you want to fly in base you can't make the pouch smaller since you want a bigger pc (38) in base.

Sorry man, but this is bullshit. If you went back to what you know you would go in trying to grab your pc from the boc - the wing is hiding it.

Bull. I've done over 200 S3 jumps and never had trouble finging the BOC handle.

The phenomena of "muscle memory" is valid. Ask an AFF instructor who has followed a student to teh deck to dump them out what happens even if you say before hand "I'll go straight to silver".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Bull. I've done over 200 S3 jumps and never had trouble finging the BOC handle.

And how many of those were you deploying at 300 feet :-P

I agree with you about muscle memory, and I understand it's not just AFF students that can suffer from it (e.g. experienced people deploying their main after losing altitude awareness when they have a Cypres), but someone who has got to the stage of doing a wingsuit BASE jump and dumping low should be able to overcome this. If not, they are in the wrong game. To me, the risk of muscle memory is lower than that of a BOC fumble.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

If you went back to what you know you would go in trying to grab your pc from the boc - the wing is hiding it. If you want to grab your pc from boc you have to totally change your grabbing move (at least with a S3). The pouch is located a little further down, but the move is smoother and faster and there's no wing in the way.

I have to agree with this, and I've also found that the BASE pouch puts the handle along the same "path" that my hands take when going for the BOC, and I instinctively throw as soon as the handle touches my hand. I switch back and forth between the two quite a bit, and don't have issue missing a handle. It might just be the way I reach, though.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click