iamspoild

7 CELL or 9 CELL for NOVICE'S first Main?

There are a TON of posts out here that contain some great and educating debates on the topic of 7 CELL vs. 9 CELL canopies.

Though opinions will vary based on wing loading, experience of the pilot, and piloting styles, for this poll lets look at it from a perspective of a NOVICE's first (ZP) canopy at a rather conservative wing loading (1.1 or less). Assume a reasonable wing shape for a novice - square or slightly tapered.

I have only a hand full of jumps and I'm not rushing out to buy a canopy. But I am one of those gear freaky people by nature..
as well as just being curious....

pj

Depends on which landing style the novice prefers. Seven cells tend come in at a steeper angle than nine cells; personally I find them easier to be accurate with and easier to land. Nine cells glide more like an airplane; many jumpers prefer that type of landing.

I don't think one or the other is better or worse for a novice. It's a personal choice - which do you prefer to fly?

I voted either is fine but it depends on the canopy and wingloading and personal opinion. One thing from your post I'd like to point out though:

at a rather conservative wing loading (1.1 or less).

I do NOT think that 1.1 is a conservative wing loading for a novice. I'd stick with 0.9 or lower.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Thanks. When I go to the DZ, safety is way ahead of fun on my priority list. Like I mentioned, I'm not heading out to buy a canopy right now - and when I do, I'll likely stay on the docile side of the fence. hell, I can't even tell you what a .9 feels like yet. I mentioned 1.1 as "relatively conservative" because there are other experienced jumpers who feel that 1.1 is a reasonable wing loading (on the higher end) for a first canopy. That is a very blanket statement considering all the possible variables. I felt it might facilitate a reasonable spectrum for this poll. Perhaps I should have said used the phrase "for lower wing loadings" rather than the term "novice"...

Yes and 1.4 is with a 170 somebody else told me I could jump a 150 if I want as long as I am not doing anything stupid wiht it.

:o That's whack man. Either some "experienced jumper" is doing their arithmatic backwards, or he doesn't like you!

you haven't been eyeballing his girlfriend have ya?:)

stupid wiht it

Okay, this is completely off the subject, but since it came up... Did you konw taht you can arnarge the leterts in any wrod, any way you wnat, and as lnog as the frsit and lsat lteetrs are crorcet, yuor barin wlil nutarlaly oevr look it? Petrty cool huh?