CanuckInUSA

Skyhook and wingsuit jumps

I got an email from RWS yesterday addressing my questions about modifying the new (used) container which I plan to use for wingsuit jumps. But here's my question for the knowledgable out there. Is using RWS's skyhook a good idea for wingsuit jumps? I wouldn't ever think of using a traditional RSL on a wingsuit jump, but the skyhook seems different because it's able to deploy the reserve so fast.

So what do some of you think about this?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I wouldn't ever think of using a traditional RSL on a wingsuit jump,

Why?

but the skyhook seems different because it's able to deploy the reserve so fast.

And if it doesn't perform as advertised, you're back to a conventional RSL.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I wouldn't ever think of using a traditional RSL on a wingsuit jump,

Why?

Because I don't like the idea of RSLs for anyone other than students and maybe tandems. And the bottom line is that I want to be clear of my malfunctioning main before the reserve is pulled.

But I'm under the impression that the skyhook is different since it supposedly deploys the reserve so fast. But I don't know? Maybe the skyhook isn't what it's made out to be?

Anyway, I don't want this thread to turn into a RSL debate. I want to know if skyhooks (which I guess also come attached to an RSL) are a good or a bad idea for wingsuit jumps. If there is any doubt, then it's no skyhook for this camper.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I wanted to see if your RSL question was specific to wingsuits.

IMO the Skyhook changes nothing when it comes to a choice as to use a winguit or not.

The only reason I do'not use an RSL is because of how often I jump a large camera helmet.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If you do a search I think you can find the conversation we had about that in this forum a while back. The general consensus is that it is not an issue with Wingsuit jumps. Having seen the skyhook in action on several occasions I can say that it deploys the reserve quickly enough that even with a diving or spinning mal(which is most common cause for cutaways with Birdman) the reserve deployment won't be affected.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have a skyhook on my rig, I jump a lot of birdman, and I also jump a Velocity 90 and a Pd 106r. The cool thing about the skyhook is you can unhook it and re-connect it on a jump to jump basis. I unhook mine for video, mainly because I have a ring site and Im afraid of getting my main risers/lines caught on it. I have a few jumps on the skyhook personally and I love it, after jumping it and watching it up close and personal, I reccomend it fully. I have thought and thought and I cant think of any reason that I wouldn't want my skyhook connected for birdman, and actually with the extra stuff involved with bird man, I like the fact that If I do end up real low under a malfunction I have the option of cutting away and having my reserve open faster.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!