skipro101

first rig

Hey.

I am going to be graduating from AFF soon and have the money to buy a new rig.

But should I? I dont want to purchase a new rig and pay that price only to find out that in a few months I am wishing that I had a smaller container for my newfound confidence (however poorly misplaced:}

I am 210lbs, 6'2 and am very muscular

I am probably going to get a 210sqft ZP main.

If i skydive a lot....how soon do you think I will outgrow this container (ie, want a main that is too small for it...)

How is resale value on rigs??do they loose their value as fast as cars?

Thanks

You can expect to be able to downsize at least once and use the same container. With some containers you can safely go down two sizes - so a container built for a 210 would let you go as small as a 170 without having to buy a new rig. How soon that will be depends on you - how many jumps you do a month, how aggressive you are, if you get advanced canopy control training or not.

You should have no problem selling a rig sized for a 210 or 230 when it's time - there are woefully few of them available used. Same with the canopy; take a look at the classifieds here and see how few 210's are for sale.

Have you jumped a 210 yet? What type and size main are you jumping on AFF? What size canopy have your instructors recommended to you?

If you can wait, I'd go ahead and rent for awhile until you've safely and slowly downsized from the student gear you're using now to the size main you're considering buying.

And like I tell everyone - fly before you buy. You may jump a 210 for the first time and decide that it's a bit too hot for your current ability - listen to that voice. It's better to be bored under a canopy that is a bit bigger than might be ideal for you than it is to be scared shitless of a canopy that's flying you - not to mention the fact that the higher the loading, the more that screw up on landing will hurt (and you will screw up at least once, no matter how good you are at canopy control).

Just for reference, I've got almost 1000 jumps and I load my canopy at 1.0:1; I can land it standing up 99% of the time and I still have a lot of fun flying it. You'd be loading a 210 at about 1.1:1.