blair700

Newbie Question, Body Position

I have 10 jumps on my new GTI, I am starting to scratch the surface with human flight. I would love to hear any of your'e descriptions regarding ideal body position, specifically for the GTI. I realize that is a very broad request, since everyone's ideal position would be different since everyone's body is different. Just looking for some genereal tips and maybe suggestions for newer flyers on technique, and bad habits to stay away from. I don't have any pics (yet) to show you how I fly now, but will post ASAP. I noticed I don't get much forward speed until I really point my toes and get my legs wide and straight, is this normal or ineffiecient? kan't spel:P
One thing I noticed this past weekend, when I really start to pic up speed, I kind of rock back and forth, not from the head to toe aspect, but from left to right, reminds me of a big shrimp boat with the nets out rocking back and forth (ok bad analogy, I said I'm new).
Thanks for any help you can give, I love this sh!t !!!!!
Blair

Edited to add: I did have some really great training from the Monkey himself, but unfortunately we brought gray skies along with our cheap beer that weekend and thus were unable to jump. So I got the theory, just no real air time with a coach...yet.

One thing I noticed this past weekend, when I really start to pic up speed, I kind of rock back and forth, not from the head to toe aspect, but from left to right

This could be due to a couple of things ...

One would be you're too stiff ... loosen up and relax ... yes, still point your toes, but breath.

That leads me to the other factor ... yes, point your toes, but don't spread your legs and stretch out the wing so taught. Your leg wing needs to have a nice curve, not a flat cardboard surface. This doesn't mean to bring your legs in, just don't STRETCH so hard when you widen them. Take the legs out to where they stop, don't exert any more force. I guess that kind've keeps on repeating, but you get the idea ... sometimes you forget when you're trying to point your toes, but eventually, muscle memory will do it without thought.

Those two things are usually what I find to be the biggest factor in "potato chipping." One other thing to consider is your arms ... the only part that does work on your arm is from your shoulder to your elbow. The elbow to hands should be really loose and relaxed. Let the wing take shape, look at your hands and wings when you're flying and see if they are nicely inflated with a curve.

There is obviously a lot more to say about body flight, do a search in this forum, I've posted tips before.

Blue skies and welcome to the flock!B|

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!