MikeSoll

Distance traveled horizontally w/ wings

Stop collaborate and listen,

I believe Mach 1 is defined as 714 mph at sea level on a standard day. If any of you are pilots you will remember the standard day from ground school. As you increase your altitude the speed of mach decreases. Therefor it is very feasible that Kittenger went ballistic, even with a drouge. As for flying a wing suit at that altitude... I believe it would be very feasable, as long as it where presurized, and insulated. Yes you will be travelling at a very high rate of speed, but there is little air to create drag, therefore you wouldn't feal much resistance in the wings. As you re-entered the atmoshpere you would actually slow down, because the atmosphere would thicken and the drag would increase. This is why the space shuttle doesn't continue to speed up on re-entry. More air makes for for drag, and conversely more lift. The higher the wingsuit pilot is the less forward movement he or she will get. The lower the person is the more forward movement the pilot will achieve. The info expressed above is only the opinions of an uneducated young man. these are things I have picked up from flying airplanes, and flying my body. That is all
i have to say about that. Have a nice day.

Ok, here's the write-up on Kittinger's jump that appears in Cheryl Stearns' website.
It states 614 mph or about 9/10 the speed of sound.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey