pchapman

Rigging d-bag plus retractable pilot chute?

Any tips on setting up a d-bag with a retractable pilot chute system?

I only do the occasional CRW and am not up on the current preferred techniques.

I'm obtaining a used canopy set up with a retractable pilot chute, so it has the 3 rings on the top skin and a dacron line as the bridle, with a floating pin. Since I'd be using the canopy for more than hop and pops, I'd like to add a d-bag, yet perhaps keep using the retractable bridle system.

Would it be better to have a small grommet in the d-bag to let only the bridle slip through it, or use a big #8 grommet? I'm not sure on all the different possibilities for fabric burns and entanglements...

The retractable bridle has malfunction oppertunities all of it's own, I wouldn't recommend it for casual jumping if you jump it a lot.

A bag + retractable bridle = holes in your canopy if you're not real careful (and/or have fabric on top of the center cell, that helps a lot), again, not a combo I'd advise jumping a lot unless you're real careful packing, getting the tail fabric out from between the rings every time.

I used to jump a lightning 126 and a hybrid triathlon 120, both with retractable bridle and bags, but can't for the life of me remember what grommets were on the bags. The lightning soon had a few pinky-sized holes in it, the tri didn't (had the fabric panel on topcell).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

See if it still has the attachment point/ring for the stock bridle and d-bag and switch at that point. The topskin retract at terminal on a nose-heavy firelight can be very damaging to the canopy. Plus, a d-bag swinging around in a whirly is just an anchor waiting to latch onto something...

Jump more, post less!

If you already have the 3 rings you're almost home, you should use a #8 grommet in the D-bag and it should work just fine. If you suffer any fabric damage, pack better (keep the 3 rings together and up in contact with the grommet and the fabric as far away as you can).

PS - Lightning do very well at terminal, packed correctly for that application, and I would recommend a D-bag.

Happy CReW, you'll probably be just fine ;-)

We've been doing F-111 CRW here. We've put together several rigs to use. Unfortunately, none have retractable PC's. Let us know what you do and how it works??? We're using Furrys, Mavericks, etc.

We're aware of the PC's and very carefull with them. But, they still scare me.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You can't just put the rings on top of a canopy, why not buy some old REAL crw gear (lightnings or hybrid triathlons or the older canopies like pursuit, ar-7, diamond, ruby etc), much safer! Or use student staticline canopies for CRW, as some jumpers here did a few times :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Even ragged out used CRW gear cost $$$$$. We've put together these (in nice shape) rigs for little or nothing. Also, we were using this type of gear for CRW 20 years before you started jumping. So, it may not be as scary as you might think. You just need to account for the PC.

Static line makes sense.... We've talked about this. Hopefully, we'll be able to move into CRW rigs sometime soon. A couple of us are thinking about new or good used Storms. Until then, we're sparking interest in CRW to newbs.

Hey Pete, this is how it was explained to me by some of the canadian crw record guys up here in arnprior and this is how my lightning is set up with the dbag and retractable bridle.

#8 grommet so you can see the 3 rings of the retractable, this way you can see and keep the nylon from getting pinched by the rings.....I was not so careful on one of my lightning packjobs this summer and put a nice burn on the topskin. nothing a little ripstop tape couldnt fix but lets be honest, who really wants burns on their canopy
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I agree with skyjumpnfool here, why pay money for a new crw canopy (or used -- if you can find them!) when we have these here. Sure, it would be nice, but people aren't just giving them away.

As for static-line -- who wants to bother. Besides, lately we've been doing rw, followed by opening high and doing rotations. You'd need long s/l's to do that!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Besides, lately we've been doing rw, followed by opening high and doing rotations. You'd need long s/l's to do that!

;) I have some rope for $ale....

A side note, after my last post (above) someone PM'd me to offer us his old Maverick to use for training CRW pups. Skydivers are the greatest people on the face of the planet!!!!

:)