andyturner

Deployment system for Storm

You can jump them with a bag or a tail pocket. Personally, I wouldn't take any free packed Storm or a bagged Storm with a mesh slider to terminal. You and the equipment would probably be ok, but the opening would probably be pretty unpleasant. Long term, it might not be good for you or the gear.

Crw canopys have ,instead of one ring to attach the bridle to, Multiple rings that the bridle ( dacron line) gets retracted through the multiple rings as the canopy inflates so there is no trailing bridle to get wrapped by. Although many CRW dawgs have been entangled with the retractable dacron crw bridle hense the knive(s).

If you are hell bent on doing CRW with a spectre ( I've done it, yes and a Tri, a cobalt here or there and once a velocity) you don't need a mesh slider, you can keep the sail slider. Then you can take it to terminal. You don't need a tail pocket you can keep it in the bag. One of my lightnings is set up with a bag only. But you really need dacron lines and a retractable pilot chute mod would be really nice.

Dacron lines in a wrap will cut your glove finger clean to the skin , spectra lines will fillet your meat down to the bone. I've seen both. Get an old spectre that needs a new line set and go dacron. Price the line set plus labor to install before you get too excited.

The retractable bridle system will be an expensive mod if you can find a rigger to do it at all. I had both mods done to an old triathalon and the service cost more than the canopy was worth....... but I have it.

I have jumped with my CF-Storm and several in terminal. So far I have concluded that the opening does not get any harder if I do a 5 sec delay or 30 sec delay. Yes I use a mesh slider and tailpocket.
The only thing I have to think about is that it take longer to open than my Lightning.
After over 10 years with mostly Lightning openings then its easy to forget that a canopy can be that "slow" to open.;)

After over 10 years with mostly Lightning openings then its easy to forget that a canopy can be that "slow" to open.

a little off topic but since you have years of experience doing CRW with PD canopies...

... have you ever considered modifying a velocity for crw? seems to me to be the natural progression but...?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

...i know a man! Well sort of a man, more half bird really. Alister McCartney - he jumps at Netheravon in the UK.

I doubt they've modified them but they have been using them for CF. He post about it here. http://www.thepdblog.com/pdblog/pd_canopies/

...may be it is worth starting a new thread about various canopies, that are available secondhand, that could be used to get people into CF with out having to buy a new canopy. I mean, Lightnings are the muts nuts but can I find a 176??? No, but I did find the holy grail and few hens teeth!

Cheers & Regards
Andy