redramdriver

D-Bag

Hey Dawgs...here is my situation. I just purchased a PD Lightning 218, have 0 Crew jumps. Was advised to use a cotton type Dbag with #8 grommet vs. Nylon. I contacted Wings (I am going to put it into a W27), they said they don't make cotton bags for Crew for their containers. Do any of you have a contact person who can make me a cotton type Dbag for use with this canopy/container combination??? Thanks! Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Shouldn't a good rigger be able to make one?
I also seen someone stitch a piece of webbing into their container and attach stow bands to it. So when you pack its like packing with a tail pocket but the stows are put on the inside of the container.
- It's okay to be happy to see me. Just because you're English doesn't mean you need to hide your emotions.
- I'm Irish. We let people know how we feel. Now fuck off.

Why cotton? Well as I don't have any experience in this, I was advised that the cotton bag works better as it doesnt leave any burns on the top skin of the canopy as the bag is being pulled onto the top center during inflation. Again, it was just advise from someone else who does crew. Although it was from someone who has done crew for some time, that person is not a rigger. Not saying a regular nylon bag won't work, I was just told that cotton would be better.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

You are correct, nylon works fine. Most rig companies have plenty of parapack that happens to match your rig perfectly, it hot cuts well and is easy to work with. However cotton is a much better choice for deployment bags, not only for CReW but anytime you are deploying a canopy out of a bag. The nylon on nylon friction causes burns that weaken the fabric, and a fight between 7 oz/yd parapack and 1.35 oz/yd ripstop would be an easy bet to win. Cotton bags are harder to make since, among other things, cotton does not sear when the edges are cut, you have to apply an anti-frey solution to the edges.
The bottom line is that most folks don't give a rats ass, but if you love your canopy like only a CReWdog can, get the cotton bag. Your canopy will land you softer because you cared.