jose9878

paraglider CRW

Does anyone have experience doing CRW with paragliders? I've bumped end cells but have not actually had feet in lines or hands on fabric. I read somewhere in the training that you are supposed to stay 30 feet from other pilots but my canopy seems to find & steer toward others.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Please note I am no expert in CRW and never done any Paragliding, but I have wondered the same thing ;) So what makes a good CRW canopy & why?

Why do people insist on using 7 cells rather than 9? How many cells does a paraglider have?

Aspect ratio, a Lightning compared to a Sabre is much flatter. That said the new Storm is closer to a Sabre. What's the aspect ratio of a Paraglider?

Shape. To me CRW canopies look a bit square'er and with more volume than normal canopys. Paragliders are the opposite, long, narrow, thin and I think fairly eliptical.

Look fu*k it, if I had a paraglider with a reserve and someone wanted to give it go that also had a bit of CRW experience then pick a good day, get yourselves really high up, e.g. at least 5000ft , & give it a shot. That I believe is how CRW first started.

Please keep me informed, I'd be very interested in finding out how you got on.

best regards & good luck
Andy

Billy, paragliders are flown with & without motors. I'm using the one without.

Andy, great attitude. I've seen pictures of paraglider crw but have no experience with it. It seems fairly straight forward but I wonder if maybe they are using different gear such as a smaller / sleeker harness. It seems there's quite a bit of stuff hanging out that can catch on lines of the regular harness and it seems the harness would stick out the back end of the lines. Altitude is good & I'll keep you informed when we do try it up high.

As far as 7 cell vs. 9 cell crw I've been doing crw for years with both, granted when we do Sabre crw we are more conservative. Docks are gentle and everything is slow. I've been taking students up, freeflying, opening at 3500 & putting 2-stacks together on Sabres. We put a PD Stack together - Saber2 150, Sabre2 135, Velocity 111 & it flew fine. I wouldn't recommend that everyone try this but if you have experience & it's done slow it can be done and is lots of fun. I understand the reasoning behind not doing this - a wrap with these canopies can result in serious injury, most likely extremely bad line burns that can saw to the bone. You also have the gear issues such as the possibility of pilot chute entaglements. Sticking with crw canopies that are made for crw is the best choice especially for anyone who doesn't do much crw.

I think the difference is in the angle of attack. Paragliders are trimmed much more lightly than parachutes. That is why, for one reason, they don't open very well in freefall. They're designed to be inflated and then 'glide' off a launch point.

Therefore, the chief danger of doing crw is the liklihood of the paragliders collapsing and the difficulty of getting them opened up again.

Just my opinion.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

There is a team out of Austria doing CRW on paragliders. Their name is the Renegades, and they are sponsored by Skywalk paragliders. Google them and you'll find them. They have been doing some pretty cool looking 3 way downplanes, which is quite tricky when you consider the aspect ratio of their wings is at least twice or even three times that of a Lightning.

I think it would be worth replacing the center A lines with fatter line material than the standard (very thin) lines to get around the obvious line burn risks of paraglider micro lines.

Since the Renegades are sponsored by a paraglider manufacturer, they are probably flying gear that is non standard with CRW-appropriate extra strengthening and fat lines where you need them.

I've been flying paragliders (non motorised) for 18 years, and have never done CRW on them, but have started doing CRW on skydiving gear and would be interested to do some on the paraglider. But the problem is, you really want to have a cutaway reserve system to deal with a bad wrap, and such systems are very rare in paragliding circles. I guess it would be possible to use a standard skydiving harness-container and make up some risers with the appropriate 3 ring systems to use with the paraglider. Might want to modify the legstraps also for comfortable flying.