lovlka

Was my canopy used in CRW?

Hi!
I recently bought a Sabre 190 -92, which I was told have been jumped about 200 jumps. Although its age, it's in really good shape, and I got it really cheap.

However, I was told that one of the previous owners mostly did tandems and CRW. Is it possible that he used this canopy for CRW, or are other canopies preferred?

If this canopy was used in CRW, does that wear the canopy faster than normal use? The lines are almost as new, and the fabric as well... are there any common CRW related damages to be aware of?

I doubt it was used for much if any CRW. Microline is not the perfered material for CRW jumps since it can cut flesh under tension. The Sabre is a 9 cell canopy and CRW tends to be 7 cell canopies like the Spectre or Lighting. Casual CRW might have been done but there is no damage caused by CRW in general.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I wouldn't recommend using a Sabre canopy for crw, but that's not to say it couldn't be done. Back in the late 90's I regularly did recreational 4 stack rotations with the same 3 guys. Three of us had Triathlons and the 4th had a Sabre. We trusted him. We were banging out an average of 15 rotations per jump, which I thought was pretty good for recreational crw.

My next canopy is probably going to be a PD Storm though. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If its in really good shape as you say, it must have never been used for CReW. ;-)

Hey Billy, I've done CReW twice with Sabers, once fine - the 2nd a double cutaway with lots of spectra cuts/burns. I'll stick to the burns only

My Triathlon has spectra micro lines as well. Really no difference. You just gotta be extra careful when playing with them. ;)

I've been in a stack and had the guy below me wrapped so bad by the guy that slammed him with a Sabre, therefore ripping his canopy out of my grips. Eventually the lines on that canopy wrapped around his arm and worked up to his hand and fingers. He eventually lost a fingertip from that ordeal. B|

It turned out to be that dude's son that slammed him. D'OH! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban