millertime24

So I did some rec CRW

I'm not proud of it, but it was actually quite fun to be under canopy flying around with other people. Now when I say recreational I mean just that. No docks at all. Just touching end cells, feet on topskin so on and so forth. I will say that it lets you have a much better understanding to how your canopy behaves to certian inputs when you have someone else as a frame of reference. All in all it wasnt too bad. Now I have to leave before the devil takes my soul.:D
Muff #5048

Being able to fly in close proximity with other canopies and not be too scared of it to the point where you panic and do something stupid, is a good skill to have, especially if you're doing a big way or jumping at a busy boogie with lots of canopies in the air.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was on that jump, and I got an appreciation for just how flat my canopy is trimmed. Damn *(&%$ Sabre2 loaded at 1:1 was out-sinking me, had to stay on my fronts just to bump end cells! :P

Yeah, when I went to my first CRW boogie, The Toadsuckers reunion, I found I was having to hang on front risers just to stay down with the formations, so one of them put extra metal links on the rear risers to steepen the canopy's glide rate. Worked great.

However, what worked with the Lightning may not work with your canopy.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nah, I've got slinks, and I don't do CRW seriously enough to want to try that. I love proximity flying under canopy, though, because as the OP said, it gives you a frame of reference to try new things with your canopy. I found I was best able to bump end cells with my canopy by holding about an inch of front risers to maintain a matching descent rate and maneuvering closer with harness input. wouldn't have thought to do that before! :)

The best things in life are dangerous.