Bowie

Footcontrolled frontriser

Hi i need a little help on making a footcontrolled frontriser like someone is using to film CRW.
What is the setup, is there a release system.

is it possible to pull down the frontriser too much so the canopy will make a high speed stall. or will the backriser just get loose a a point and the whole load will be on the frontriser.
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

Hi...a person to speak to would be Bryan Scott who filmed the 2003 CRW record...he had that system set up on his front risers....it seemed to work very well...good luck...

Tom Plonka also does this as well.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Typically, videographers on big way crw like to use foot controlled riser straps because a crw formation starts to sink more as more people get on it. They need to maintain a steady video of the formation and keep their hands in their brake toggles. Pulling on front risers by hand will wear anyone out quick.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Tom's got one, and he tried to talk me into hooking it up before Nationals in Chicago a few years back. You actually pack your rig with this HUGE cross connector. My question was what if I have a mal and have to cutaway? The thought of being "Hung" in the process of the cutaway by an 8 ft "noose" was a little unnerving to me. I just worked my upper body hard pulling the Fronts "Manually".

Then they taught me the warp, which I also thought was crazy on a Stilletto, but it worked like a charm.

Mark Klingelhoefer

I use two carabiners connected by some Dacron line. I fold it up and stuff it in an elastic pouch and put it on my cheststrap.
When using, check your airspace first, then clip each carabiner to each front dive loop and get your feet on the line.

As with any front riser input you'll have to play around with it to see how your canopy reacts. This playing around will also help you to determine how long/short the Dacron line should be.

If you use this set-up, remember to "stand up" on the line to get the effect you want or you will most likely end up in a somewhat reclined position, which will not give you the same front riser input you are going for.

The release system is called a "hook knife" :P

Before landing just kick the line off your feet and let it trail behind you. If you aren't comfortable with that-in clear airspace unclip it, fold it back up, and stuff it in the pouch--obviously allowing yourself plenty of time to do so before landing.
CRW Skies,
April

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Tom's got one, and he tried to talk me into hooking it up before Nationals in Chicago a few years back. You actually pack your rig with this HUGE cross connector. My question was what if I have a mal and have to cutaway? The thought of being "Hung" in the process of the cutaway by an 8 ft "noose" was a little unnerving to me. I just worked my upper body hard pulling the Fronts "Manually".

You got to understand he's an old dude... :ph34r: and if I remember right, they stowed it by folding it and keeping the folds secured somehow until they were ready to use it. I can see the folded strap flopping around above his head shortly after deployment on some of his videos. Sure, it's just one more potential snag on the camera gear if there is a mal, but that's what they have helmet releases for.

You got to understand he's an old dude... :ph34r: and if I remember right, they stowed it by folding it and keeping the folds secured somehow until they were ready to use it. I can see the folded strap flopping around above his head shortly after deployment on some of his videos. Sure, it's just one more potential snag on the camera gear if there is a mal, but that's what they have helmet releases for.

I understand all that, but that image I got in my head of the flying noose scared me more that the thought of someone top docking my Stilletto (and if you talk to any of the members of Tres Hobres, They will vouch for the level of concern about this).

The next year, I was taking and delivering docks with my Stilletto comfortably, but I still have never jumped that "insane foot loop thing".

Mark Klingelhoefer

The next year, I was taking and delivering docks with my Stilletto comfortably, but I still have never jumped that "insane foot loop thing". ***

I'll do CRW with my Triathlon, but I would never do it with a strap like that or with my video equipment. I've never seen a crwdog use a foot strap in that manner in CRW... Now death straps, on the other hand when it comes to tri-planes.... :)

Pictures of the foot controlled frontriser:

Here's Brian Scott coming in to land with his setup at Z-hills after filming a large CRW formation 9-22-07.

This man is an amazing photographer with a ton of experience and valuable information. If you ever have the opportunity to ask his advice on filming a formation I highly recommend it!

CRW Skies,
April
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.