dtthorne

CRW in the NW?

Hello! Just putting feelers out for a good place for CRW up here in the beautiful Northwest. I spend most of my time at Skydive Oregon in Molalla and there is not much goes on. I have purchased a lightning and am eager to try it out! Thank you Craig!

I'm also making a trip to Eloy May 6-7 for the camp with "Frayed Knot". Who else is going?

I look forward to flying with you soon!

There are a number of CRW people in the NW. Ask around at Molalla and I know you will you will find some. There are a number of people up north in Washington, including me, that enjoy it. I would love to see some more CRW up in the NW

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I'm in the Tri-Cities, WA and would love to get a group together for some fun nylon tag. I have asked around myself for the last year or so but it's slim pickins in finding anyone who is willing to do more than the occasional fun CRW with freefall canopies. I know there are some in the Seattle area who will come out if you give them a call first. Kapowsin used to have a 4-way team and I believe there may still be a couple of old dogs still jumping at Snohomish. Talk with Ralph over in Eagle Creek he should be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise Lodi is about the closest place that has CRW going on all the time

God Bless,
Scott

CSA #699 Muff #3804

i do some crw, but only on my jvx 87. so not exactly with crw specific canopies. i would love to do it with with a lightining a few times though. if you get a group together let me know and i'll come out and play.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

on my jvx 87

Since you appear still willing to fly such formations, I must assume that one han't gone to crap yet. If it had I thnk you'd be terrified of using a x-braced canopy to do any more crw. It's similar to doing a low pull contest: Eventually it will bite you hard.

Spectra lines have been known to cut off fingertips in CRW wraps. Smaller lines such as Vectran and HMA can remove entire limbs. Dacron is much more friendly in wraps. It can hurt, but doesn't slice like the smaller lines. I encourage using only CRW-specific canopies or more forgiving canopies (large ones). The smaller they are then the faster wraps can happen. Bigger ones give you time to anticipate problems.

Be careful & have fun
Chris W

Chris-

I would have to agree with you I was in an entanglement with a buddy who was jumping a velocity 103 and when it went bed it want faster than I could say OH, S.... I was good to go he ended up having a line over and had to chop. I wont ever do X-brace CRW again.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

There is a Wrap video I thought on Skydivingmovies.com but a quick search did not find it. Anyway, it was with two people getting into a wrap with Velocities, I think one was named Britt?? The other maybe Tim?? This is from memory so a little help would not hurt if you know what I am talking about.

First they were sorta flying (deep breaks on edge of stall) then within in about .5sec they are wrapped. It was ugly and when the first person chops they get reserve about 2K and video the 2nd chop and you get a great view of a freebag wrapped in the others main canopy "somehow" working.. That was scary shit to see...

I prefer CRW witht he correct canopies, I guess I am just a whimp.....:P

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Since you appear still willing to fly such formations, I must assume that one han't gone to crap yet. If it had I thnk you'd be terrified of using a x-braced canopy to do any more crw.

yes sir you are correct. no wraps as of yet, but i'm sure it's not going to be good when it DOES happen. we are relatively cautious though and i really only do it with 1 or 2 really good friends that i've flown with for years. we have about 300 CRW jumps together i would estimate.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down