aykay

A couple of CRW q's

I have been doing a little bit of 2 way CRW lately and have a couple of questions.

1. When coming in to dock on my partners left leg for example I try and place the out side line right over his foot for an easier dock. However the cell sometimes flies behind his body and the canopy turns sharply to the right. Is there any way to minimise this turn? Its hard to keep it there and I usually end up with my centre cell near his torso. Any one have ideas on how to prevent or stop that happening?

2. When actually flying the side step the bottom flyer has to trim out with opposite riser. Otherwise we are finding the canopy wants to come up over the person on top. Obviously in comp you wont be holding the point for too long but I figure the point should be able to be flown without too much tension. Any ideas?

2.1) When releasing the sidestep the increased tension is causing me to get flung off because I am risering.

3. We did a couple of jumps on different canopies where I had more drive and lift. On points where I had to dock on him I was coming of to the side generally to avoid the burble, risering down below him and then driving back up. I found it easy to get the dock in but its probably not the fastest way. Now we have well matched canopies and im finding it a lot harder to catch him. I think I have to make the inputs closer rather than swinging out too far and then back in. Any thoughts or special techniques for moving closer/quicker.

I think those questions make sense:S. We were doing around 5-6 points in time with crappy technique so hopefully it will get better! Thanks

However the cell sometimes flies behind his body and the canopy turns sharply to the right. Is there any way to minimise this turn? Its hard to keep it there and I usually end up with my centre cell near his torso. Any one have ideas on how to prevent or stop that happening?
---
The key here is to dock to the outside - I always try hard to keep my canopy outside of his body so he has to stretch his leg to catch the line. I also try to "swing" my canopy as I get there - almost sorta of doing an outside turn as I get there to lift teh inside corner of the canopy up and stop the slide to the inside. Does that make sense?

-----------
2. When actually flying the side step the bottom flyer has to trim out with opposite riser. Otherwise we are finding the canopy wants to come up over the person on top. Obviously in comp you wont be holding the point for too long but I figure the point should be able to be flown without too much tension. Any ideas?
----------
I've found that even under my small slow canopy, on a 2-way just by holding brakes as pilot I can keep even the biggest of canopies from having to hold trim. If the pilot is in full flight you'll practically always have to have trim Is your top guy in brakes - he can really control everything on a 2-way.
------------
2.1) When releasing the sidestep the increased tension is causing me to get flung off because I am risering.
-----
If you still have to riser if the pilot holds brakes, you should be able to get away with very little. The key is to be watching carefully, and as soon as the pilots leg starts to come loose, drop the riser and hit a touch of brakes to control your canopy.
-------

3. Now we have well matched canopies and im finding it a lot harder to catch him. I think I have to make the inputs closer rather than swinging out too far and then back in. Any thoughts or special techniques for moving closer/quicker.
----
The better matched you are the harder it is to dock - that is for sure. I find that the pilot holding quarter brakes makes all the difference in the world. It slows him down just enough without giving him a ton of float that he is easier to catch. On a 2-way, I never _hold_ my front risers. I might "bump" them to lose some altitude, but if I hold them, I'll go low every night. I usually switch from bumping fronts to holding rears part way through the sashay to maintain my altitude...

I'm sure there are other methods as well, but these are what work for me.
W

Hi,

evrything wendy said is spot on, two important tricks are:

1. Try to dock from the side as much as possible, slide the canopy towards the pilot from the side and just before you arrive jab the outside riser to kill the momentum and any lift. Docking from the side gives the pilot a much better view of your end cell as you approach and makes it easier for him to adjust his trim if he needs to help you out.

2. When you call the point the bottom guy immediately puts on a little brake so there is no tension when the pilot drops his grip, in fact you should be able to spend a couple of seconds flying no contact (not in competition though) with his leg just alongside your end cell. This is important,as my old sequential coach (4 way but the principle is the same for 2 way) used to say the seperation between points should be a seperation not an explosion, when you explode apart you are starting at a disadvantage for the next point as the greater the seperation the longer it will take to get back together and increse the risk of the bottom guy going low.

Hope this helps.
Plastic