jettero

Cypress

***Facts are facts....If you are SAVED by a CYPRES, you should look into other sports.

Damn.... As a full time rigger packer and skydiver, my CYPRES save, in your opinion, was my resignation letter. I think that is a very poor way to view a safety device.

Read the whole post.

I also said

Nothing is wrong with having your ass saved...But I hope each of these people had a reality check, and
relooked their participation in this sport...But I have seen people have a CYPRES fire and think nothing
of it..."Its why I bought it, to save my ass. I got it put back in my rig leave me alone I'm a safe jumper".***

And This
*** I don't agree. If you have a CYPRES fire you fucked up bad....And you need to really look at why, not
just blow it off like many do now.

Yes you should look at what happend. Why is it you were the only one to have to be saved? Did you do something that casued you to hit the tail? Why did the rest not hit it?

At anytime you have a significant event you need to look at what happend. I had a bad car accident and I started wearing my seat belt like its a religion.

Your case is on of the FEW saves that are a case of being knocked out. Most are just acts of stupidity, not stopping a skydive.

But even in your case there are things that you could have done to prevent it from being needed. Do you not see that?

Im glad you had the cool toy, I would be happier if you used your mind and never got into a situation that you needed it.

And yes, you do need to relook your involvment in this sport....You should be dead. Like I said, I'm glad you are not, but you are on what we used to call "bonus days". That does not mean you should quit....But you really should look at you and the sport.

Glad that the 1200 investment paid off, but it could have not worked.

Like I said...relook at the sport. I never said quit.

Skydive like you don't have an RSL or AAD, and you will live longer.

Ron

Edit to add: relying on the damn thing is a WORSE way to look at a saftey devive
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron,

You and I don't normally differ too much on opinions but you really sound like a certain someone you really disagree with on canopies right now. You've made your point on device reliance, but you continue to try and make it like no-one should have a cypress. I also know you've posted on at least one occasion that you almost bounced (here ) and I didn't see you say anything about YOU reconsidering your involvement in the sport. No-one is perfect and THAT is why these devices are helpful.

My point is that we all do stupid things, normally unintentionally - it's no reason to die and if learnt from is certainly no reason to quit.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

You and I don't normally differ too much on opinions but you really sound like a certain someone you really
disagree with on canopies right now. You've made your point on device reliance, but you continue to try and
make it like no-one should have a cypress.

Where did I say that? In fact I say I like them, and that I have one all the time. I do say that I act like it is not there, and I am sick of people thinking that buying a CYPRES is the same as using a reserve....Its not.

I also know you've posted on at least one occasion that you almost
bounced (here ) and I didn't see you say anything about YOU reconsidering your involvement in the sport.

Yep, but I saved myself....But if you think I didn't look at my involvment in this sport you would be wrong. I looked at it very hard, chastised myself for almost doing something fatally stupid. I did however save myself, so I decided I could keep jumping...If a CYPRES had saved me, I would most likey have quit fiquring I was luck to be alive.

No-one is perfect and THAT is why these devices are helpful.

My point is that we all do stupid things, normally unintentionally - it's no reason to die and if learnt from is
certainly no reason to quit.

And here is the "generation gap"....I have only been around 10 years, but in my mind you are dead if saved by a CYPRES. Newer jumpers don't think that way...And I feel that is a dangerous way to look at it.

it's no reason to die and if learnt from
is certainly no reason to quit.

I can think of no better indication that I should quit than not being able to save my own life. You have a better one?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Cheap insurance against stupidity if ya ask me.

What he said. I put the RSL in the same category (obvious exceptions for camera dudes etc).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am dead in a different sport according to your theory. With out safety equipment. I would have died for certain. Since I didn't, I'm willing to continue in the sport.

I would suspect the comment of "you did something by wearing the safety equipment" will come up but the fact is, it's not required to wear it. In this other sport, I saw the danger of serious injury or death and could see no logical reason not to wear it. With the same logic. Someone did something about there future and placed a safety device (cypres) in their rig.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I didn't expect to find quite so many posts here today. B|

Ron, you post a lot...

The reason I want a cypress is for the knocked out factor. A guy at my dropzone was saved this year by his cypress because it fired while he was unconscious. That is the selling point imho.

In fact, I'm a little freaked out about smashing into someone while I'm trying to learn RW. I doubt it's even as big a problem as I'm imagining.

I do say that I act like it is not there, ....

That's a mistake. It's presence should seriously affect your decision tree in an emergency exit, among other things. Act like it's not there and you can find yourself with 2 out.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's a mistake. It's presence should seriously affect your decision tree in an emergency exit, among other
things. Act like it's not there and you can find yourself with 2 out.

So far its worked for 2,400 jumps. I know that when low I should go for the reserve...but having been low on accident I can tell you that I threw my main while I was reaching for the reserve...I was thinking reserve, but my right hand threw my main automaticly.

So I know what I will do when I am low....I plan on throwing the reserve, but I have pulled the main 3,000 times and the reserve 6 times...Which is trained more?

As for low exits...Its simple 1,500 feet or less reserve.
Above 1500 main. Still the same altitudes I used as a student.

Do you guys honestly think people dive harder and take more chances because they have a cypres?

Yep reference this thread even.

But as a
freeflier I do feel better knowing I have a cypres in case of a mid air collision which disables me for
whatever reason come pull time.

A large number of people have taken up freeflying. I honestly think that people should have a hundred or so jumps of regular RW to delevlop the life saving part of the sport before they start FF....When I bring this up to guy with less than 100 jumps I get "It's OK I have a CYPRES" all the time.

Skydiving equipment today allows nearly any one to skydive should they choose to. There a few that should
not but seem to do ok any way. More people of the "cypres generation" as you call it, use them because
that's how they were brought up.

And because they don't know better and its always been there, they rely on them. "Its OK I have a CYPRES".

Another thing, what the fuck is wrong with surviving because a cypres saved your ass? I jump with some
extremely talented fliers that would be dead other wise. Sure they blew it. But I doubt it will happen again.

Nothing is wrong with having your ass saved...But I hope each of these people had a reality check, and relooked their participation in this sport...But I have seen people have a CYPRES fire and think nothing of it..."Its why I bought it, to save my ass. I got it put back in my rig leave me alone I'm a safe jumper".

A safe jumper that had an AAD save them? I don't get that do you?

All I have ever said is that if you have a CYPRES fire you need to sit the fuck down and have a serious look at your life, and how you fucked up so bad that you needed a neat toy to save your ass.

I see WAY to many people blow off a CYPRES fire using this logic

Putting in the cypress was as conscious an act as pulling red-then-silver. Call it a safety maneuver that
I did pre-mal - as the red/silver gets done at mal. Both can be argued as "back-up" safety equipment.

And they don't take it as serious. They treat it like since they bought a CYPRES they are safe skydivers.

I don't agree. If you have a CYPRES fire you fucked up bad....And you need to really look at why, not just blow it off like many do now.

Bill was this low non-CYPRES fire in MS? If so I knew him....If not I know of another one.

I'm quoting this whole post because I agree totally with what Ron said (and also Billvon) and I hope you all have read it carefully. Since I've been a rigger I've seen 12 Cypres fires - NONE due to incapacitation of the jumper. (Those of you who question the Cypres save stats of unconscious/incapacitated jumpers vs. people who lost altitude awareness need to do some of your own research.)

Excatly ONE of these 12 people walked into my loft and said, "Man, I really messed up." He was on coached jumps, working on getting his A - was spinning out of control, trying to get stable. He took it very seriously and sat around for a good long while rethinking his involvement with the sport.

The rest were all loss of altitude awareness. Most had initiated main deployment before the Cypres fired and ended up in 2 out scenarios. Most had excuses, i.e. "my main snivelled for 1500 ft." or "I KNOW my Cypres fired way higher than 1000 ft." -- and didn't take responsibility for going low. I have no idea what kind of introspection later went on privately in these jumpers's heads .. but the majority kept jumping as if nothing had happened.

I jumped for 8 years without an AAD, so take this with under advisement. I have a totally different mindset than those of you who have never jumped without one.

I have no quarrel with reasonable people (as most of you posters seem to be) who always jump with an AAD as an extra layer of safety against the unexpected ... especially if you keep up on incident/accident reports and trends in the sport. I'm leery of people who refuse to ever jump without one, no matter what the circumstances (for example a sunset load cross country.) I'm happy for all of the excellent people who have been saved by Cypreses and lived to jump another day. I hate seeing the people who've had their Cypreses fire, get an new cutter and repack and live in oblivion and denial of the seriousness of the situation.

IMO some people just don't want to realize that this sport is risky, and no backup device in the world will ever save you if your plane crashes at takeoff, or if you do something stupid under 100 feet.

Some of you seem to doubt the levels of complacency out there that Ron and billvon speak of ... believe me, it's there. In spades. I'm glad if this complacency doesn't apply to you.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

That's a mistake. It's presence should seriously affect your decision tree in an emergency exit, among other things. Act like it's not there and you can find yourself with 2 out.

Amen to this. People do rely on them, and forget they're there to their peril. IMO it should always be in the back of your mind. And not just in low-altitude emergencies -

Soooo, comes time for some low hop 'n pops at 3000-3500 ft, with people who have canopies designed to have "inherenty slow and soft openings" ... read 1500 ft + snivels. I suggest they turn off their Cypreses - and they think I'm joking.

BAM - here's some real-life experience with 2 canopies out.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

I also know you've posted on at least one occasion that you almost bounced (here ) and I didn't see you say anything about YOU reconsidering your involvement in the sport.

Yep, but I saved myself.... [...] I did however save myself, so I decided I could keep jumping...If a CYPRES had saved me, I would most likey have quit fiquring I was luck to be alive.

What's the lowest you've ever pulled?
[Ron]Main about 500 feet 3 times. Twice I did it because I was stupid and thought it would be cool. I use to pull at 1200-1400 all the time back when I was REALLY stupid. Once I was at 500 feet because I was stupid and screwed up on a video jump....

Did you have a Cypress on that jump? Wouldn't it have fired as you blew through 750' before you saved yourself?

I really don't care how someone get saved. I'm glad they're still here!

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Did you have a Cypress on that jump? Wouldn't it have fired as you blew through 750' before you saved yourself?

I really don't care how someone get saved. I'm glad they're still here!

Yep the Cypress would have fired...Of course that was jump # 280ish and I didn't get a CYPRES until around 650ish.

The point is if I did have a CYPRES, and it was the thing that saved me...I would have a seroius "come to Jesus meeting" with myself and some close buddies about how I REALLY screwed the pooch and have to think about if I were going to continue jumping...

As CSS RIGGER said there is a large group that have CYPRES fires and treat them like a normal MAL....Its not normal..A cool toy saved your ass for you. Think about it, you would be DEAD if not for a cool toy.

FWIW when I had a rash of malfunctions...I sat down and figured out why. And those were just MALs, not my ass being saved by no act of my own.

Buying a CYPRES, while showing good judgment, does not rank up there with Mals...A CYPRES fire is MUCH more serious.

BTW a CYPRES will fire around 1100 feet if you are deploying your main..It has to do with the rapid loss of the burble. So, some of the low pull/fires the guy was deploying high enough to survive....On others some have just ridden a snivel WAY to long...*Hint* if your canopy is still sniveling 1,000 feet after it starts...Its a MAL.