riddler

How many knots do you put in your closing loop?

I've seen it done a few different ways.

If you put more than one knot, what is your rationale?

When I make a new loop, I always make it a bit on the long side so I can put the second knot in it, it just makes me feel a bit more comfortable. (plus it was the way I was shown how to do it when I started jumping)

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I usually just do two overhand knots.

For dacron closing loops, one overhand appears to be enough. I see many that way and feel comfortable with that.

For spectra, I am not comfortable with one overhand. While a single overhand tends to work, I've done tests in the rigging shop where spectra (and not dacron) does let the knot slip right out when loaded to 100+ lbs. I'm not saying the tests replicate actual use, but the increasesed slipperiness adds some undertermined risk of knot slippage, so a backup knot is an easy way to add safety.

If building spectra loops for others, I put in two very loose overhand knots so that the new owner will be visually reminded that I feel they should have more than one knot.

Yes, knots other than an overhand hold better (like a figure 8). I'll reserve them for myself if desired but don't put them on loops for others to keep things more clear and simple for them.

Peter Chapman
part time rigger