krkeenan

Catch a Falling Main ???

I kinda see your point but the fact that it could be lost is not really even close to the value of a life and as it has been proven catching canopies can kill you I will always recommend following the canopy and finding it after.

I honestly meant old F111 canopies should be taken out of circulation however, I do not think F111 canopies would be my first recommendation to anyone.

points taken on both sides, at least discussion keeps us thinking.

~Chachi

Hi Chachi

I've heard MANY stories of people dying whilst skydiving. Some were friends.

If you do a root cause analysis on EVERY skydiving fatality, you will find that people have died during every facet of a skydive. Examples:
- walking to plane (into propellar)
- take off crash
- mid air aircraft collision
- exit
- freefall
- deployment
- during canopy flight
- landing
- after landing.

Going by your logic, I should never do any of the above because someone has died doing it!!!

Well - looks like lawn bowls for me!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - -

I certainly don't consider myself immune from the possibility of death. However, I take risk analysis very seriously. I usually consider my actions very carefully prior to commiting to them. I also take into account my experience and ability. I don't do something just because someone else has done it.

I've been to 3 CRW world meets and placed in the top 4 several times. I am also a national record holder in CRW - BUT I still consider myself a student with SO MUCH to learn. I consider my CRW skills to be above average. However, I know very little about swooping (even though I do swoop landings). I don't push the limits in landings because my skill level is not quite there. I HAVE ASSESSED MY SKILLS AND ACT ACCORDINGLY. I am not dead yet because of this.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Other factors - high performace canopy pilots may not necessarily be good at flying relative to moving targets (other canopies), but may be exceptional at flying relative to still targets (mother earth on landing). The individual needs to consider his/her own abilities prior to attempting anything. More importantly, the individual needs to be REALISTIC about his/her abilities. This is the factor that causes many jumpers to come unstuck. Either their ego OR lack of experience causes them to incorrectly access their ability prior to acting.

- I would NOT catch a canopy close to the ground (<2000ft).
- If possible, I would get rid of the canopy above 2000ft. Spot it and drop it!!!!!!
- I would NOT catch canopies whilst flying a high performance elliptical.
-

p.s. Not all CRW dogs are good.

p.s.s Generally speaking, skydivers are adults. And we all have the opportunity to decide what our actions are. There is a wealth of information available around the world on virtually every scenario in the sport of skydiving. If people want to learn about something, they can choose to do so. If they don't want to learn from others, that is their choice.

If they want to pick a few words out of context and create a perception and what is right / wrong. That is their choice.

As the old saying goes, "you'll never live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself" "learn from the mistakes of others".

p.s. Chachi

F111 canopies are extremely relevant and useful for certain applications. I have a strong preference for F111 when BASE jumping. Zero P introduces a plethora of unecessary risks in BASE.

Why would you NOT recommend F111 to anyone? I am curious to hear your views.

well after having caught at least 4 cutaway mains and 8 - 10 freebags over the years.......................................... i've decided to quit.

Why?
because i have now seen the very darkest side of this activity.

of the last 3 people for whom i've "saved their gear", not one has offered to buy me a beer :-(
sigh.

it's far too dangerous to do if there's no beer reward :-)

oh yeah................also on one of the recent ones i screwed up and caught the freebag with my A-B cascades one cell off-center.
i flew around for a thousand feet or so trying out my flight envelope with the pc trailing behind fully inflated, thinking, hmmmmmmmm this is going to be very embarassing if i have to cut away cause i hosed catching a freebag.

fortunately going to deep brakes and stalling the canopy cleared the mess.
i made certain to re-catch it with my knees and not my lines.

get to learn something most every jump.

joy!

kleggo

well after having caught at least 4 cutaway mains and 8 - 10 freebags over the years.......................................... i've decided to quit.

Why?
because i have now seen the very darkest side of this activity.

of the last 3 people for whom i've "saved their gear", not one has offered to buy me a beer :-(
sigh.

it's far too dangerous to do if there's no beer reward :-)

oh yeah................also on one of the recent ones i screwed up and caught the freebag with my A-B cascades one cell off-center.
i flew around for a thousand feet or so trying out my flight envelope with the pc trailing behind fully inflated, thinking, hmmmmmmmm this is going to be very embarassing if i have to cut away cause i hosed catching a freebag.

fortunately going to deep brakes and stalling the canopy cleared the mess.
i made certain to re-catch it with my knees and not my lines.

get to learn something most every jump.

joy!

kleggo

What a quitter!

Seriously dude, I owe you myself and forgot. I hope you haven't been harboring this resentment all this time. After all, it was a couple of months ago that I cutaway. I'll see you soon and buy you your favorite drink. Sassperilla, isn't it?

"What a quitter!

Seriously dude, I owe you myself and forgot. I hope you haven't been harboring this resentment all this time. "

no way man, just talktyping out loud, that's why i put the smiley face thingy in there :-)
see ya soon my friend

kleggo