craig72

2 to 1 vs B line attachments

Like Wendy mentioned, it depends on what you're doing. If it's small stuff (9-way or less), you generally don't hold points long enough to matter. It's the bigger stuff where you may be handling a wing for several minutes and want an advantage.

2-to-1s have a greater range of control but require more pull to hold them. B-lines are almost as effective at wing control with minimal input. Ideally you shouldn't need any input in a properly engineered and piloted formation, but often reality is far from the ideal. I find that if the formation is flying slow a B-line may not be enough, but if the formation is reasonably fast (subjective) a B-line is all that's needed, if anything.

Another thing to consider is that 2-to-1s only require a riser mod while a B-line attachment involves both the riser and the canopy. Not a big deal if you always jump the same canopy, but somewhat problematic if you have more than one or go to demo something else. It is possible to build both attachments such that they're removable; it just takes a rigger who's willing to do it and some cash.

Having said that, I prefer no extra attachments and rely on arm strength as I need to. I have blocks wrapped with Vetrap and that's it. If I'm flying wing I typically dock and set the grip with outside front riser, reach across with the inside hand to hold the riser while I grab the B-line, then ease up on the riser and fly the outside with just the B-line.

Bob