freeflynick

Round CReW

One late night around the camp fire, I was talking about doing some more round jumps with Doc Steve when he suggested we do a downplane under the rounds!:P I know this wouldn't really be the same as on squares, but I do like the idea of trying some CReW under rounds.
Can anyone give me the benefit of their experiences with round CReW? Do's, don't's, definately try's etc....
Cheers!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

I did it before but I found it sort of scary... Docking a square under a round was easier - when I was docked on top of another round I felt that every time the canopy I was docked on would breathe it was about to engulf me. Never did get to the point of climbing down the lines to a plane, let alone a downplane...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Here's an ancient photo of the evil twins of CRW, James Lacey and Jon Sikorsky in a Para-Commander Biplane. This was probably at Indiantown Fla. during some short period during which they were not banned from that DZ.

Jumping with these two in the early 80s seemed to have two possible effects on people. Either they would be totally hooked on CRW, or they would quit jumping and take up something like basketweaving.

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Nice one Jon! Well, once I get back in the air (I'm waiting for my heel to fix itself after Bridge Day!) I will let you know if we manage to pull this off!!

Thanks for your info, guys! (I knew you old-timers had your uses!!:ph34r:;))

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

hey nick,
hows the foot coming along???

we're all heading off to z hills da morra for 2 weeks of mayhem... be nice to get away from the 4 inches of snow currently covering the car!!!!

got the wing suit and have done 3 lobs on it... scary but fun none the less... strath looks ace at low speed!!! exit way past the t junction and make it back to the dz no worries.... u gotta try it!!!!

If it's safe it ain't fun

I did a number of 2-stacks with Starlites in the 1970's. Never a downplane or a biplane though.

The most important thing for me was to have reasonably well-matched weights, because you can't change forward and downward speeds as effectively with toggles and risers.

We'd side-slip toward each other, and I'd catch the top front of the other jumper's canopy and hold it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That round plane was at "SKYDIVE inc" homestead fla. march of 1981.. Jon and lacey were trying to do side by sides for a week or two. They would get it but the tension was way too much to hold for more then a few minutes. Thats when Lacey came up with the "TOAD STRAP" LOL... The strap had a quick-ejector on each end and was about two feet long. They jumped it a few times , but they had a hard time removing it and had to land with it....

Lacey was way ahead of his time... Remember him stamping out big diamond formations and saying that was the way world records would be made. and that was at a time when four stacks were a big deal.... A toast to the old man.... LOL

Killer............. Toadsucker for life #62