DJL

Yahoo, first Downplane

I couldn't believe how stable this was. It felt more controllable than piloting stacks. I did the method of kicking left foot up, then right foot crossed, then turning canopy until looking straight down while legs uncross.

Yeah, I thought I was going to do some damage to his nuts when we let go but I think he was ok. I think that's a pretty good way to learn it. The student could be the one on top, you kick your legs up, he grabs, you steer. This is the opposite of what we did but my man, Larry, says he's too old to try be the one kicking up his legs.

What I was worried about was oversteering and coming back around into his canopy. That's what happened to one of my crw buds at my dz on his first downplane and it ended up in an entanglement. I realized as we rotated that it was very stable and I just had to point it at the dirt and away we went.

Linking to Chuck's description of how to do a downplane:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=215449;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

-doug