shotat

Reserve Pilot Chute Tear, Can it be Patched?

I have a Javelin and unfortunately I had to cut away my main the other day and go to my reserve. The Pilot Chute landed in the top of a big tree and while retrieving it I tore about a 1" long place in the fabric near the Pop Top. My buddy (not a rigger) said this can be patched but since it is my reserve pc should I buy a Brand new Pilot Chute or get it patched?

***How come all the rich kids get to make all of the jumps?***

Theorictially it can be patched just like a reserve canopy. Some companies limit the number and size of patches, including on the PC. But, it will probably be a pain, especially near the cap. You may not find a rigger willing to do it. If not, call Sunpath and see if they'll patch it. I would have no concern jumping a properly patched reserve PC. But I'd probably buy a new one just cause it easier.B|

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

We can repair them but it takes bit of work and often times it is easier to buy a new one. when we do repair them, it's beacuse the color of the cap is specific to the rig and there may be some question as to weather or not that color is still in stock at the manufacture. We'll also do it when the customer wants or needs to get back in the air quick.

I should have been more specific, the tear is actually in the parachute type fabric and not in the pop top itself. The problem is that the tear is about 4 inches from the pop top and How would you get to it to stitch/patch it up? There is this HUGE spring in the way:)

Sorry, misread your post, thought you were saying that you repaired the pop top due to the color not being in stock anymore at Sunpath. BTW, how do you go about separating the PC from the spring.

It's attached to the cap of the P/C using white super tack. Doing a good job usually involves removing the spring completely. Then you must carefully unpick the F111 from the cap, separate the mesh from the F111 (so you can gain access with a sewing machine), and then you can begin to deal with the hole. Once the hole has been fixed you can reinstall the spring using a curved needel. In my opinion this repair falls into master rigger territory. You will be taking the P/C allmost all the way apart and that will make it a major repair.
I first attempted the repair just to see if I could do it using a P/C that had already been grounded. Not a bad idea if you have on lying around. Good luck