freedom1

Flying the slide....

Am having a fair bit of trouble flying the transition to terminal (vertical) from the slide. I can exit all right, head down or sit, and fly the hill (not too bad but not great), but I seem to get a little unstable at the transition from the slide to regular vertical flight...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Without seeing you fly, my guess is that you're leaving the plane not in the orientation to the relative wind you're intending to. I see lots of people practice their sitflying by leaving the aircraft facing the tail. What this is actually doing is leaving in a backfly.

The relative wind is coming pretty much directly from the prop at the moment of exit. If you want to exit the aircraft in a sitfly, then you should be leaving feet to the relative wind, which would appear to be more belly or back to earth. If you leave the aircraft feet to Earth, you are not sitflying. When done properly, the exit, "slide", and terminal should not feel very different because you're always flying feet into the relative wind.

Some people have balance problems doing it because of the visual of being 45 degrees a few seconds from the aircraft. It can be disorienting. Try doing this with your eyes closed for the first couple of seconds and just feeling the relative wind. This way, the visual of being "sideways" may not throw you off balance.

The same can be true for exiting head down. If you are pitched head up any on the exit, you're actually leaving the aircraft in a track according to the relative wind. And with only 300+ jumps, it may be a while before fully figuring out the whole head down thing comes. Don't stress and don't try and take it too fast. It'll take upwards of 1000 before you're turning a bunch of solid points. Fix the sit first.

That's right, before you really start playing with head down exits, ask yourself: "Can I do these things on sitfly exits?" Too many up and coming freelfyers want to launch multi way head down exits when they can't fly head down in the first place with the misguided illusion that it will teach them to fly head down. Try this next time you're doing a 2 way. Try and launch a sitfly round. Grab hands and launch a round in your sit. Many freefliers never try this because they so anxiously want to move on to head down and leave huge gaps in their freefly progression. Can you launch a 4 way sitfly flower?

It's not impossible... and, if everyone learns to sitfly out of the plane with their feet into the relative wind, it shouldn't even be hard. In one of the Jive Jams in North Carolina a few months ago, we were launching 4-5 way sitfly rounds from a CASA. Trust me, give it a shot! Get your sitfly solid first before moving too quickly to head down. This includes sitflying on the hill and launching sitfly formations.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Cheers for the great reply.

Sounds like you got my number exactly. I am certainly not hitting that deep into the relative wind (45) on exit. Totally agree on the leaving HD for some time, though it is fun to launch HD every now and again.

Thanx again!!!