prost

X-mod update

I just got my FX back from getting an X-mod done on it from precision. It is a 99 sq.ft. model and I am jumping it along side my other FX99 without the mod. As I am splitting time between two rigs I only put about 10 jumps on the X-mod this weekend. The first thing that I noticed is that the opennings are far better. I had gotten my FX openings to a point where they are ok, but could be better, especially when jumping a camera. The openings on the X-mod canopy have been some of the best I have ever had on any canopy. I have even deployed just coming out of a track to see how it would effect the openings and it was still fantastic.

The front riser pressure is lighter now. As far as swooping goes it will be a long time before I can tell you if it is any better or worse as I have to get used to the canopy again. It seems to dive less during the turn but take longer to come out of the dive after the turn. The major reason I got the mod done was the increased number of jumps between relines. I will take me a good while to report back on the wear.

I will give more of a review once I have had time to test the mod out farther.

William

I would be careful about increasing the time between relines. Vectran you can see when its time. HMA you cant. Some people have alreay gotten real broke from snapping HMA. I dont think their advertisement of longer life of the lines is very safe. How do you know when to replace a line that doesnt go out of trim and shows no wear but can break with out notice?

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Vectran you can see when its time.

In what way? Other than the control lines getting fuzzy if you're using velco there is very little change in a vectran set. Vectran Turns from it's gold color to a dark dirty color after about 50 jumps and then doen't change again. Bad stuff. I know at least one person who goes by "Titaniumlegs" on DZ.com that has found this out the hard way.

Some people have alreay gotten real broke from snapping HMA.

Who? How? When? Where?

I have STILL not heard of this happening on a properly lined HMA canopy.

I dont think their advertisement of longer life of the lines is very safe.

Why not?

How do you know when to replace a line that doesnt go out of trim and shows no wear but can break with out notice?

Show some proof that they break without notice. People in this industry resist change even when good, just because they didn't think of it first.

Let's see, doesn't go out of trim. Bonus.

Doesn't show wear? You havn't worked with it very much have you? It does show wear, and shows it well too. Just has a very long life compared to what is accepted in the industry.

We don't use Dacron anymore, and Spectra is accepted. Guess what? Technology improves, Spectra has limitations, problems. I think HMA is a great answer. It's a proven material, with know properties, and it out performs what it has replaced.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

A very good friend of mine, jumpmaster and instructor, with well over 2000 jumps was jumping a xaos 76. During one of his swoops a steering line broke without warning. He spent two weeks in ICU and another month in a spinal clinic. It does happen.

Incidentally, the canopy was loaded at 2.2 and had about 250 jumps.

Agreed on HMA from everything I've read on it. I'm about to order a Crossfire2 and I would love to be able to get it in continuous HMA lines, with dacron or spectra brake lines, but it's not an option. Only Vectran or Spectra

I'll take Spectra over Vectran on my canopies.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

We are getting off subject here but vectran is known for not showing wear before it breaks. That was one of the major complaints about it. The were also several people that had steering lines break with vectran that stated there was no apparent wear before they broke. That is why it became a general practice to replace vectran at an earlier stage than spectra. I am not arguing that HMA will show wear better (I have no idea), only that it can not be worse than vectran at showing wear.

I think you're getting HMA and Vectran confused. I can see the wear on my vectran lines quite clearly, on the other hand the HMA line sets at our dz appear to be in better condition (visibly) but the pilots are saying that it's time for a re-line.

Either way I feel that the industry needs to better educate us on exactly what to look for. It seems that there is nothing clearly defining exactly what it is we need to look for on these line types.

Blue skies
Performance Designs Factory Team