CDRINF

Retractable Closing Pin

I bought a used rig from a friend. The main is a Precision Batwing 171 equipped with a pilot chute that has a retractable closing pin. When the pilot chute is cocked, the pin is out. When collapsed, the pin disappears within the bridle.

I was wondering why I don't see more of these. Every time I get a pin check I have to explain why there is no window since no one knows about this system. It has never failed me and seems like a great way to ensure the pilot chute is cocked since it makes it impossible to close the rig without cocking the pilot chute. Is there something wrong with the system I don't know about?

CDR

I had a retractable closing pin on my previous container (Atom), and I liked it. You cannot forget to cock the pilot chute as you will have no pin to close the container with :P. I did hear some theory why a "normal" pin is better, but I seem to have forgotten it. Never had any problems with it.

The problem I saw was that it didn't take long for the pin to work it's way through the bridle before where is is supposed to when 'cocking' it.

Sorry, didn't quite understand that... Are you saying that the bridle would wear out faster? I've seen a few older Atoms with the retractable pin, but I don't recall seeing any excessive wear. The newer Atoms don't come with the rectractable pin anymore, so I guess there is a good reason for not having them. Personally I like the idea and have not seen any trouble with them.

I also have the retractable pin with my pilot chute. I love it also. I think it's a positive that you have to have the pilot chute cocked in order to have the pin visable. However, last weekend my kill line broke, from the pin to the pilot chute. I gave it to my rigger who thought he'd be able to have it fixed within 1/2 hour, but because of the fact that I wanted to keep the retractable pin it took 3 1/2 hours. It made me only do 8 jumps that day. My rigger did say that next time it wouldn't be as long since he knows what he's doing now. That's a plus :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

IMO

PROS
1) Can't pack an uncocked p/c.

CONS
1) They're more complicated to build and maintain.
2) Can't seat pin as deeply (as bridle gets in the way).
3) Bridle wears out sooner.

I think there are more CONS to the system, but it's always been a very cool design and has a great safety advantage. Since most of the CONS for the system base themselves around maintenance, you had better be the type of person that really keeps track of your gear and maintains it...not just someone who says they inspect their stuff. :P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I assume you have a Precision retractable? If so, be prepared to replace / fix it (soon) when the pin either pokes through the side (see responses above) or clean through the type III tape making up the bridle itself.

Just get a normal kill line. By developing a routine, cocking the kill line will become as normal a part of your packing as setting your brakes, which is something people don't normally forget.

What rigging65 said. I totally agree.

I'm jumping in here because of one of the original posts, about doing a main pin check and looking for a colored indicator window to make sure the PC is cocked.

IMO, people take this for granted. They assume that if they look at their pin plus see colored kill line, their PC is absolutely cocked (or conversely if they see no color, their PC is definitely collapsed and someone made a packing error.)

We teach people to look at their PCs while packing, look at the kill line length vs. apex tapes, and see how the PC catches air. Many people pay for packing and come to rely on the indicator window. In my opinion this is a bad habit. Kill lines are generally made of Spectra and will shrink over time ...

Inspect your PC kill line from time to time.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL