kenmckee

Who manufactures the Bogie reserve?

I'm looking at an Infinity rig that has a Bogie 178 listed as the reserve. I've looked around and can't seem to find the manufacturer. Anyone know off hand?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,
The Bogy was manufactured by FTS and later APS. I never jumped a 178 but did have a 200 as a main. Sky:ph34r:ONE has extensive experience with the company and their products. Chuckie....????

Tim
Maggot:ph34r:

The original FTS canopies were constructed in Columbus, GA and in my dad's loft in Opelika, AL. Dave Davenport (now working for Eagle Industries in St. Louis), a former black hat at Benning was the guy who started the company. He later moved the company to Alpharetta, GA, just outside Atlanta and stayed there for some time. He changed the name of the company to Advanced Para Systems before "taking a ten year vacation". When Dave went away, the company was taken over by Bob Chafin and moved to Texas.

Anyway, the Bogy was actually made is many sizes. Pretty much all the FTS/APS canopies ended up being made in seven, EIGHT, and nine cell varieties. There were some eleven cell canopies made as well. I, as a small, young guy, was forced to test jump/ TSO prove quite a few canopies back in the early eighties. The three main canopies produced by the company: Rascal, Laser, and Bogy were all TSO'd as mains AND reserves. That said, the only Bogy one would likely encounter nowadays is the 176 seven cell. I, for some time, jumped a Bogy 150 nine cell reserve. I also owned Bogy nine cell 200, 175 and 150 mains. Doing a search in this forum from about three years ago will net you a funny story about when I spray painted an worn out Bogy 150 with vinyl top paint; what a riot.

As far as I know, you can still get APS canopies, though the company doesn't really advertise anymore. Their last canopy released that showed any regional success was the Shark. Initially "square", then made elliptical, it was made in sizes as small as 110 square feet. I owned the very first, neon orange with blue ribs and stabilizers, example of the canopy; it flew great for what it was. Man, I got a lot of free parachutes back in those days....People back then thought I was seriously out of my mind for test jumping a 150 square foot parachute. Hell, I didn't weigh 130 pounds! LOL.

Anyway, there's your story. Yes, they used to make them in my dad's basement. Yes, they are safe.

Chuck

As far as I know, you can still get APS canopies, though the company doesn't really advertise anymore.

True statement. I talked to Bob last year to get information on a Laser 9 Hybrid I was asked to sell for a friend. He still makes them in small quantities for anyone who wants them. What is available from his product line I don't know.
Arrive Safely

John